wow new ver 5 ccie all vertual and IOS15.3T and 15.0SE for switches

itdaddyitdaddy Senior MemberPosts: 2,088Member ■■■■□□□□□□
how in the world can you use GNS3 and my 3560 x 4 EMI switches I dont have 3560x????
how can i study for this if i use INE and not the cisco 360? are they forcing you to use the 360 program and does it come
with the virtual system at a price?

how are you guys studying for ccie? with the new specs?
«13

Comments

  • bermovickbermovick Posts: 1,134Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    For now I'm ekeing it out with GNS3+IOU. I haven't really gotten into anything unusual yet though.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

    Current goal: Dunno
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Posts: 1,423Member
    Dam 15.3, I can't run that on my 1841's icon_sad.gif
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • IristheangelIristheangel CCIEx2 (Sec + DC), CCNP RS, CCNA V/S/R/DC, CISSP, CEH, MCSE 2003, A+/L+/N+/S+, and a lot more from m Pasadena, CAPosts: 4,117Mod Mod
    I wonder if they are going to use VIRL for all the virtualization. That would be kind of cool if they do. Supposedly there will be more information given at Cisco Live this year in regards to it. If customers can get their hands on VIRL then you've got your CCIE lab right there.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • itdaddyitdaddy Senior Member Posts: 2,088Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    bermovik so when you say IOU you mean that 15.4 iou (ios) for the linux systems? doyou run gns3 in linux environment?

    Iristheangel
    i wish they would tell us what the 15. for switches is needed for and the 15.3
    i have 15.1 on my 1841 and an IOS image for GNs3?
    I just bought 4 3560s with emi and a 3750 for the GNS3 break out switch setup i liked that the best seemed most economical?
  • tldeestldees Posts: 9Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    itdaddy wrote: »
    bermovik so when you say IOU you mean that 15.4 iou (ios) for the linux systems? doyou run gns3 in linux environment? Iristheangel i wish they would tell us what the 15. for switches is needed for and the 15.3 i have 15.1 on my 1841 and an IOS image for GNs3? I just bought 4 3560s with emi and a 3750 for the GNS3 break out switch setup i liked that the best seemed most economical?
    The routers will use 15.3T and the switches will use 15.0SE for the CCIE RS lab. As long as your switches have 32MB of flash you can run IOS 15SE. The 15.1 will be good enough for most of the stuff on the blue print. For GNS3, use the 7200 routers to run IOS 15. Additionally, CSR 1000V 3.11S runs the equivalent of IOS 15.4S.

    The major difference between 12 and 15 on the switch side is VTP3, so you should be fine with learning most of the technologies on 12 code.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Senior Member Posts: 2,088Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    thank you tldees i appreciate your help ;)
  • networkjutsunetworkjutsu Senior Member Posts: 275Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am leaning towards the server route to run 20 x CSR1000V. For the switches, I'll be using the highest IOS revision code that I can run. Brian McGahan said that 80% of the technologies should be covered even with the 12.2 code.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Posts: 2,741Member
    I am also thinking about the server route now - seems the best option by far actually. I just need to get some more RAM for my server. It has 16GB presently, and I can upp this to 32. Funnily enough I could just sell my routers and probably have enough cash to cover. Perhaps I could sell it as some kind of cheapo CCNP lab or something.

    I think with my Server running with 32GB RAM I can probably run like 10 of those quite comfortably. Not sure if my other i7 machine can take 32GB on the motherboard otherwise I would put that to 32 as well and then I'd have more than enough to run 20 routers.

    Next experiment is to try running a boatload of CSR's with 16 and some over provisioned SSD for RAM.

    Might hang onto my 1841's though (I've got 3 of them)

    Cisco VIRL is now CML I believe.

    OK so £100 will upgrade my server to 32GB RAM, and that maxxes out at 32. PC also maxxes at 32. So there's 64 between them...

    How much for a bunch of routers then... :D
  • deth1kdeth1k Posts: 312Member
    Why not invest into 360 bundle? They run exact code you will stumble upon in the lab and their workbooks are very good with less mistakes than INE. If you don't wish to spend more money on their rack rentals you can replicate their setup in IOU yourself, just remember to pull the configs when doing their labs ;)
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Posts: 879Member
    I am leaning towards the server route to run 20 x CSR1000V. For the switches, I'll be using the highest IOS revision code that I can run. Brian McGahan said that 80% of the technologies should be covered even with the 12.2 code.

    This is what he said:
    There will be some 15.x specific topics, but probably only 5-10% maximum of the switching scope. If you already have switches running 12.2(55), and they can't run 15.x, then I would just run the 12.2 train. You can compare the images side by side at Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems and see the differences. The feature navigator isn't always 100% correct but it can give you a general idea what is and isn't supported. Most of it is routing features that you wouldn't need to run on the switches anyways.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Posts: 2,741Member
    deth1k wrote: »
    Why not invest into 360 bundle? They run exact code you will stumble upon in the lab and their workbooks are very good with less mistakes than INE. If you don't wish to spend more money on their rack rentals you can replicate their setup in IOU yourself, just remember to pull the configs when doing their labs ;)

    To be absolutely honest I am loathed to spend another penny. Thinking about it the CSR has been around for long enough, and I've spent £1500 on a physical lab. I really don't know what to do with it. I basically have 9 routers and a terminal server I probably don't need anymore, and I could maybe sell these for a very handy sum. The terminal server, despite being a 2511, is still worth £180 on eBay alone. This could pay for a lot of memory! Oh, and my 1841's appear to be selling for £125 each. So between those 4 devices that's ~£500.

    I've got: -

    3 x 1841 w/ 256MB and VPN Modules
    2 x 2650XM w/ 32MB
    1 x 2621XM w/ 32MB
    2 x 2620XM w/ 32MB
    1 x 3640 w/ 24MB

    That's my routers anyway.

    Switch wise I've got

    2 x WS-C3750-24TS w/ 128MB
    2 x WS-C3550-24 w/ 64MB

    So switch wise I'm happy to run 15.0 on the 3750 (If I can, of course) and just run 12.2 on the 3550's.

    Now, I wonder if I can sell all 9 of my routers - but man I don't have boxes or anything, moving this stuff is going to be a pain.

    It's either I do a lot of wheeling and dealing, or just and hybrid the lot (my preferred method)

    Hybrid wise I mean using my two machines - that's probably 12 CSR's I can run - and then I've got my 9 other routers which brings me to 21. Obviously I can't run v15 on everything, but I am not sure that even matters.

    What I really want/need to know is what the actual configuration section of the v5 lab is going to look like - I know INE are capping it at 20 routers, but I'm not so sure it'll be *that* many in a full actual lab - it's too many, and a pain in the backside to emulate it all.

    EDIT: Haha, my switches (3750's) wont run 15 either. Oh well.

    I've got plenty of options anyhow - maybe I could IOU it but the amount of bugs puts me off.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Posts: 2,741Member
    OK so now I've started destroying my lab :D

    I've been itching to reorganize it and make it look tidier - so now is my chance.
  • xnxxnx Do they matter? UKPosts: 464Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    What are you selling from your lab now and how much?

    I'm starting to downscale my Lab too, I managed to get 4 2651XMs for £28.. and even a 3550-48 for £24 so I ended up with too much.

    With the amount of hours i'll be spending on CCNP route after uni exams i'd rather stick to GNS3, much quieter.

    I plan to use my physical lab for Switch and T-Shoot
    Getting There ...

    Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • gorebrushgorebrush Posts: 2,741Member
    I think I will hang onto my 1841's and all switches.

    So that leaves

    2 x 2650XM w/ 32MB
    1 x 2621XM w/ 32MB
    2 x 2620XM w/ 32MB
    1 x 3640 w/ 24MB

    If any of this is of any use to you then please let me know.

    I've got a fair amount of serial cables as well, also

    3 x WIC-2T's
    1 x WIC-1T

    I am based in South Wales and I've got no means of boxing any of this stuff up but if you are in the local vicinity I am happy to arrange half way meet up.

    I would be looking for about £120 for that? the WIC cards are about £50 on ebay, so I think that's a fair deal for 6 routers?

    Let me know what you think.
  • keenonkeenon Posts: 1,921Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    All the old routers running 12.4 can still be used for backbone routers,etc. I'm still keeping the frame switch but may convert it into something else usable as well.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • gorebrushgorebrush Posts: 2,741Member
    Oh yeah, I mean all of my routers have ethernet interfaces in them, there'll be the odd serial interface peppered in if I don't sell these routers (And I'm not desperate to sell them)

    So they will all have their uses.

    In the end I think I'll probably just end up building entirely my own topologies - I think I may learn more that way.
  • xnxxnx Do they matter? UKPosts: 464Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry not really looking to buy anymore routers at the moment, my sig tells the story.

    With some patience you could probably sell them on eBay.. Don't expect too much though I managed to buy a 2620XM for £10 delivered, switches are much more valuable on the other hand
    Getting There ...

    Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • gorebrushgorebrush Posts: 2,741Member
    Yeah fair enough, really.

    Lucky that you've replied - I'm rebuilding my rack today so knowing you don't want them means I can carry on :D
  • deth1kdeth1k Posts: 312Member
    I've also had this great idea to have full rack but then I've found myself using GNS3 more often as it's just so much more convenient, there's no noise and power could be used elsewhere. When IOU came out it was a game changer and I switched over completely, having gone through INE and lack of v5 workbooks I've decided to give 360 a shot and never looked back. Their rack rentals (included in price with workbooks) are awesome, very similar to real exam experience so it's worth it just to familiarise yourself with it. If I were you I'd sell the kit and spend money on books or memory to run IOU / CSR.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Posts: 2,741Member
    Already got more than enough to run IOU/GSR, adding another 16GB RAM to my server to expand that to 32GB. Between that and my desktop, I've got 48GB RAM and enough room to run all the instances that they are requesting.

    I've bought the vol1 workbook from INE so I'll get the v5 updates when they are released, so my combo will be IOU/CSR/Physical/GNS where possible.

    I'm more than covered. I'll keep the older routers just because I've got no way to ship them and they're practically worth nothing now.

    I'll be splitting my power on the rack so that I only power up the 3 main routers and 4 switches for labbing in and I can supplement these with CSR instances. I can always power up the second half seperately (I have USB control over the power sockets) if/should I need them for whatever reason.
  • networkjutsunetworkjutsu Senior Member Posts: 275Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    This is what he said:
    There will be some 15.x specific topics, but probably only 5-10% maximum of the switching scope. If you already have switches running 12.2(55), and they can't run 15.x, then I would just run the 12.2 train. You can compare the images side by side at Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems and see the differences. The feature navigator isn't always 100% correct but it can give you a general idea what is and isn't supported. Most of it is routing features that you wouldn't need to run on the switches anyways.


    [/FONT][/COLOR]

    Thanks for the correction. My translation to that is still about 80% covered with 12.2 code.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Posts: 2,741Member
    Yeah I'd agree with that, 80% is a fair chunk, for the rest of the features you can just use IOU because that's what the lab will be based on ultimately I suppose.
  • keenonkeenon Posts: 1,921Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    i switch between hardware and iou alot myself. I do find myself using iou alot more than real hardware but when you have issues with certain stuff and want to test out new things hardware provides a more accurate results to configs. plus most workbooks are hardware and i hate to spend a chunk of lab time migrating configs over
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • xnxxnx Do they matter? UKPosts: 464Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm going down the virtual path soon too, I see no point in spending too much money on Cisco apart from just exam costs.

    A powerful PC on the other hand can be used for many things (ESXi, Server 2012 etc..)

    As long as Cisco doesn't go bankrupt in the next 5-10 years or SDN doesn't takeover I think we'll be fine!
    Getting There ...

    Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • deth1kdeth1k Posts: 312Member
    having lab booked for October I'd rather have access to v5 workbooks now rather than wait for INE :) hence why I chose 360 although still have INE account. However they will probably release WB based on hardware rather than virtual, we shall see i guess...
  • keenonkeenon Posts: 1,921Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    deth1k wrote: »
    having lab booked for October I'd rather have access to v5 workbooks now rather than wait for INE :) hence why I chose 360 although still have INE account. However they will probably release WB based on hardware rather than virtual, we shall see i guess...

    are you using the new v5 workbooks from cisco if i'm reading this correctly? how are they? are they better then the previous version? I have alot of questions PM me
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • bermovickbermovick Posts: 1,134Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    No! We all want to know too!
    Latest Completed: CISSP

    Current goal: Dunno
  • deth1kdeth1k Posts: 312Member
    Yes, I'm using Cisco 360 v5 workbooks, they are much better than v4 stuff as those had some typos and mistakes. Questions are very well written and clear, having spoken to people who have gone through Cisco 360 and attempted the lab it's very similar. So all in all you know what to expect yet not cheating in any shape or form. I couldn't recommend it highly enough for $360 you get (I know I'm repeating myself from another reply in the forum):

    100 hours of rack time, very nice web GUI similar to lab and instant booking i.e start lab now...
    10 CFG Workbooks with answer key
    10 TS Workbooks with answer key
    1 Assesment lab

    CFG labs are in 6 hours slots, you can add 2 hours on top of that.
    TS labs are in 2 hours slots and you can add 1 hour or 2 (can't remember off top of my head).

    Also further labs will be added in near future. I'm mixing this with own "IOU rack" just getting copies of start up configs so I can go through the labs again without spending any rack time hours :)
  • bermovickbermovick Posts: 1,134Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    In a similar vein, has anyone heard much about the CloudLab / GoldLabs ?
    Latest Completed: CISSP

    Current goal: Dunno
  • keenonkeenon Posts: 1,921Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    deth1k wrote: »
    Yes, I'm using Cisco 360 v5 workbooks, they are much better than v4 stuff as those had some typos and mistakes. Questions are very well written and clear, having spoken to people who have gone through Cisco 360 and attempted the lab it's very similar. So all in all you know what to expect yet not cheating in any shape or form. I couldn't recommend it highly enough for $360 you get (I know I'm repeating myself from another reply in the forum):

    100 hours of rack time, very nice web GUI similar to lab and instant booking i.e start lab now...
    10 CFG Workbooks with answer key
    10 TS Workbooks with answer key
    1 Assesment lab

    CFG labs are in 6 hours slots, you can add 2 hours on top of that.
    TS labs are in 2 hours slots and you can add 1 hour or 2 (can't remember off top of my head).

    Also further labs will be added in near future. I'm mixing this with own "IOU rack" just getting copies of start up configs so I can go through the labs again without spending any rack time hours :)

    Does this include base configs you can load up and pdf workbooks?
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
Sign In or Register to comment.