VLAN HELP PLEASE

badboyziggybadboyziggy Inactive Imported Users Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
I wanna give the exam a shot in late december so I am hard at work going through my sybex for the 2nd time and having the same problem at the same place I did the last time, at vlan & getting host of other vlans to communicate with those that are a part of vlan 1. Im sure I did everything correctly & I even went as far as to type everything word for word out of the book, but with no luck. I wanted to know if it was the Simulator im usig or im doing something wrong. Im using routersim's network visualizer, if any one could help please and if u use the same thing I do I will even send u the file I have so u can take a look at it, thanx.

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    getting host of other vlans to communicate with those that are a part of vlan 1.

are you using a router in this sim.. i hope so unless the switch is doing the routing

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/50.shtml#conf

i think this will help

if not i can post a raw config for you
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • badboyziggybadboyziggy Inactive Imported Users Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I am using a router, a 2600 series to be exact, im beginning to wonder if its how the network is setup thats the problem. i have two 2950 switches connected together over a trunked link configured with two vlans and each 2950 is connected to a router and a 1900 switch connected ONLY to a router. i will illustrate this below, the underscores i used for space so u can ignore them, the dashes and the lines means that they are connected, hb is host b & hc is host c and so on. as u can see there are 3 routers connected together and the link between 2950a and 2600b is trunked, as 2600b handles intervlan routing. there is no vlans or vtp setup on the 1900. host b,c,d and e cant ping host a but they can ping the 1900 and the 2600a router.

host a____________hb(vlan2) hc(vlan3)________hd(vlan2) he(vlan3)
    _|__________________|______|_________________|______|
    _|__________________|______|_________________|______|
    1900 switch.________2950a switch<
    >2950b switch
    _|______________________|______________________|
    _|______________________|______________________|
    2600a router<
    >2600b router<
    >2600c router
  • cisco_troublecisco_trouble Inactive Imported Users Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you tried a traceroute to see where the ping is going missing? It might be that a simple thing as a default gateway is not set on host A. And seeing that you are able to echo request and reply till the 1900 means that your internetwork is fine. And host A is in VLAN 1 by default, isnt it?
    "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
  • SVSV Member Posts: 166
    Why dont you try using a simple setup first. Use only one router and a switch.

1. Create two VLANs in a 2900 series switch first (VLAN 2 and VLAN 3).
    2. Add ports 1 snd 2 to VLAN2 and ports 5 and 6 to VLAN3
    3. Before configuring the routers make sure that the hosts in same VLAN can communicate with each other, and the ones in different VLANs cannot.
    4. Configure an unused port (eg. 12) in the switch as a trunk port, and connect that to the routers's ehternet port.
    5. Configure three subinterfaces in the router's ethernet interface.
    6. Connect the first interface to VLAN1, the second to VLAN2 and the third to VLAN3
    7. Dont forget to assign IP Address to VLAN 1 and the default-gateway.

Now check if inter-vlan communications works. If it works then go for a complex scenario. If you get stuck let us know at what part you are getting stuck.
    Life is a journey...
  • TshockerTshocker Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hope you get it figured out. Sorry I can't give you any pointers. Working on Network+ atm. Good luck

From one jamaican to the next.
    Yeah its in vlan 1 by default, but im gonna run the traceroute and try SV's suggestion and then post what happens, thanx for the help and encouragment.
    Well thanx alot SV & cisco_trouble that worked great and now that it has i figured out why it wasnt before. after i did a traceroute i decided to check the routing tables of the other routers in the internetwork and i realized they had no entries in their routing table for the networks that the vlans were apart of so they werent able to ping those hosts which i found kinda weird cuz i was using ospf as the routing protocol & didnt think it would have any problem updating, because the router handling the vlan routing had the entries but no one else got them (why??). & when i did it the simple way and get the vlans working first and then added additional routers and switches not apart of vlans i used rip jus to test it out and it worked to my amazement icon_eek.gif , i guess ospf isnt all that after all :o , anyways thanx alot for the help guys.
  • SVSV Member Posts: 166
    Good job badboyziggy icon_thumright.gif
    Life is a journey...
  • cisco_troublecisco_trouble Inactive Imported Users Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ice cool! your diligence paid off. With OSPF, it could be something simple, like mismatched notifications and AS's or something that isnt on by default when it should be....OSPF can be a headache, thats why its so good! haha...keep cool icon_cool.gif
    "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."