Options

CISSP-ISSMP Pass

kzckzc Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed the ISSMP. I basically took the exam cold; I spent about six to eight hours skimming the old CBK over the last week.

- Know business continuity and disaster recovery.
- Know best practices for incident response management.
- Know ethical practices.
- Have the requisite experience.

I have not taken the CISM, so I have no frame of reference to speak to the comparability. I would assume they are very similar in difficulty.

I felt many of the ISSMP answers were obvious. I have a lot of experience in this area, but even so, this exam does not even belong in the same conversation as the ISSEP in terms of difficulty.

Comments

• Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!

I am sitting the CISM in June so it would be interesting to hear the comparison between the two. Could you expand on your experience in IA/Security?

Also, I would love to attempt the ISSEP eventually as well, interesting to hear that it is much more difficult. Do you work for the DoD by chance? (I've heard ISSEP is very applicable in the DoD realm)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    1 year helpdesk
    2 years systems administration and engineering
    8 years strategic information assurance consulting (including everything from developing custom frameworks to leveraging DIACAP and NIST to assist in implementation)

I have had federal and DoD clients, as well as clients bound by federal and DoD requirements. The ISSEP is extremely applicable, and my studies in it have improved my efficiency with non-federal clients, as well. It was worth it.

If I could ever make ISACA test dates I would have had no use for the ISSMP. Sorry I can't be of more help there. I assume somebody around here has both...
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great feedback and thanks for the insight. When you say consulting, I am curious do you have your own business or do you work for a consulting company? Sounds like you have a ton of knowledge and experience under your belt!

I've considered reading the CBK's for the ISSAP and ISSEP even if I don't sit for the exams, just to gain the knowledge
  • Options
    I do both. I work for a consulting firm on a long-term engagement for job security, but I generally have 2-3 short term (under 3 month) engagements per year independently on the side.
  • Options
    BenchwarmersBenchwarmers Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, kzc!! I am also studying for the ISSMP. I have read the ISC2 CBK book and was inquiring about other resources to study before scheduling a date. It sounds like the exam was pretty straight-forward.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass, this one is also on my to-do list, hopefully this year.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    MunkinMunkin Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kzc wrote: »

If I could ever make ISACA test dates ...

They really need to offer tests more than twice a year.

Allen
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Munkin wrote: »
    They really need to offer tests more than twice a year.

Allen
    And all the people said, AMEN!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kzc wrote: »
    I passed the ISSMP. I basically took the exam cold; I spent about six to eight hours skimming the old CBK over the last week.

- Know business continuity and disaster recovery.
    - Know best practices for incident response management.
    - Know ethical practices.
    - Have the requisite experience.

I have not taken the CISM, so I have no frame of reference to speak to the comparability. I would assume they are very similar in difficulty.

I felt many of the ISSMP answers were obvious. I have a lot of experience in this area, but even so, this exam does not even belong in the same conversation as the ISSEP in terms of difficulty.

Is it possible to take the ISSMP exam before having the full 2 year requirement? Does ISC2 offer the same length of time to get the necessary experience for the concentrations (6 years) like with the CISSP?
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    puttarputtar Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□