New GNS3 switch experience ?

MinaryMinary Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Has anyone used the alpha GNS3 for the CCNP switch course yet ?

It seems like I have to pony up $40 for eary access but it is still in Alpha.

https://gns3.crowdhoster.com/become-an-early-release-member

Comments

• silalavalsilalaval Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Spend the money on a switch instead...

If you want to learn, use a switch or ragtime instead. You don't want to be distracted by the stuff that will start failing all the time. Trust me, you will end up spending precious time trying to fix something rather than studying.

Anyway, the whole point of a switch is that is runs on hardware, not software!
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I completely disagree, it will improve your troubleshooting skills, trying to troubleshoot issues is the best way to learn. Working in networking is about figuring out why something doesn't work, be it your config or the device software. You may as well start now.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • MinaryMinary Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with both of you. There is a point where troubleshooting gets in the way of learning.

Bought a job lot of old switches and routers and learnt alot getting them working and finding the ones that didn't work or were working intermintantly. In then end I have 2 switches I can use and a working catOS switch. All this was really useful and cost me a few days study but will be very useful in the field.

The problem with alpha software is that you can be having problems and troubleshooting a configuration when it is some undetectable hiden glitch. This might not be too much fun when you want to learn switching but are instead trawling backend forums for a problem that once fixed will have no more impact.

GSN3 for routing was great once it was going but in the beginning I was driven insane looking for config problems that turned out to be IOS image problems. Now it is stable and I can quickly test stuff and know alot more about images and GNS3.

I am tempted to get new software though. My weakness and my stregth is that I like problems.
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    I completely disagree, it will improve your troubleshooting skills, trying to troubleshoot issues is the best way to learn. Working in networking is about figuring out why something doesn't work, be it your config or the device software. You may as well start now.

I meant troubleshooting GNS3 rather than the network itself... You dont need GNS3 in your day-to-day work... its just a platform, hence. Alpha software, unless you participating in the product development seriously, is a waste of time.
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For you maybe, but when i'm working on something on an emulator and it doesn't work, it makes me rethink how the protocol works. I start my debugs and packet captures and try and think whats happening. Sometimes its a config issue, sometimes i miss understood how the protocol works and other times its the emulator. When it is the emulator i feel a self of accomplishment in having found the issue utilizing my debugging skills. I use emulators day to day in work as a sanity check, its nice to be able to create a new topology and have it running in less than 5 minute.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
    Fair enough... I usually get so distracted I prefer hardware. But I see your point. icon_wink.gif

As long as we can ping it, doesnt really matter.
  • MinaryMinary Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know what you mean Ed. When you find the problem you have looked under every stone.

Maybe they could add a feature where it randomly breaks x% of the time ?! Just to keep you on your toes. Then hide the off button in the menus with a confusing lable.

I think power-using emulators is important as you can test more things quickly.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I am not mistaken I think you can select the no package option and only have to donate $5 to get early access to the software. Please correct me if I am wrong about that.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
    sthomas wrote: »
    If I am not mistaken I think you can select the no package option and only have to donate $5 to get early access to the software. Please correct me if I am wrong about that.

Not sure:

If you click on the "contribute" to the point where you select ow much, it only says early access from the 40$ option, not on the 5$ one...
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you REALLY can't pay $40 then send them an email and see if they'll accept $5
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently