Options

packet tracer route summarization question

StonedHitmanStonedHitman Member Posts: 120
Just read a chapter on route summarization in odom's book and tried to apply it in packet tracer. In packet tracer I loaded up an old but fully operational ospf lan design. It was configured without summarization in mind(the long way) so i went and summarized all my routes. I then compared it to my original design and I didn't notice anything different in the routing table. It's the exact same number of lines. Basically from what I've read and researched, the benefit of a summarized route is that you reduce the clutter in the routing table by essentially combining multiple routes into one. That's not what I see, both routing tables are identical. The only thing that's been reduced are the network(ip address/WC bits/area) commands under router ospf 1 configuration(from 5 commands down to 2) but I don't think that's the goal of summarization, unless i'm mistaken. Can someone please help me make sense of this, I could be doing something wrong.
Currently reading Network Warrior

Comments

• Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Base on the information you gave you don't understand summarization and you did it wrong. If you provide the PT file and the IP address and commands you use we can point you in the right direction.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    How did you set this up? OSPF has some rules you have to deal with with summarization. If you are setting it up correctly it wouldn't change the amount of network commands you use...
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only thing that's been reduced are the network(ip address/WC bits/area) commands under router ospf 1 configuration(from 5 commands down to 2) but I don't think that's the goal of summarization, unless i'm mistaken.

You have not performed summarization, the network command is used to specify which interfaces will have ospf enabled. Interfaces whose ip addresses fall within the network/wildcard mask combo get ospf enabled. So by the sounds of it you have used a larger wildcard mask to reduce the number of network statements.

If you want to summarize in ospf, for one you need to have multiple areas. You can only summarize on an ABR, to perform summarization you need to use the range command i.e. area x range 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 , where the addresses to be summarized originate in area x.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$