Options

Is your main computer a PC or a laptop?

2»

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Desktop. You just can't pack enough RAM and drive space into a laptop for serious visualization.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use a laptop running arch linux and windows 8.1 currently.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Laptop x2. MacBook Pro for everyday and school, quad core Win 7 laptop for labbing and IT stuff.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    esr0159esr0159 Member Posts: 80 ■□□□□□□□□□
    a laptop for work and home.
    upgraded the ram for extra power
    CCNP R&S | Planning to hit IE R&S or JNCIA or Security path|
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Desktop. You just can't pack enough RAM and drive space into a laptop for serious visualization.

A couple of terabytes of drive space and 16gig ram is more than enough for almost any virtualization labing. you can get this in a mid range laptop these days.

I can run 4 or so servers and 12 Router on a laptop with 6gig ram and 500gig disk with out any slow down. So for studying you can happily use a laptop.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Surprised at the amount of laptops as main computers icon_rolleyes.gif
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I can run 4 or so servers and 12 Router on a laptop with 6gig ram and 500gig disk with out any slow down. So for studying you can happily use a laptop.

It depends on what you're working on. Yes, I tend to overdo it, but that laptop would not have cut it when I did the MCITP. The VM with SQL Server I used while playing around with WSUS, ADMT, Sharepoint, etc. alone needed that much RAM to run comfortably and I couldn't imagine it being on the same HDD as everything else.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Desktop for home as my gaming rig. I use laptops for work and school. icon_wink.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    kaneohe7kaneohe7 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Laptop - A Dell XPS 15 Core i7 16GB of RAM with 2 SSD drives gets the job done. I really do miss my servers though, but electricity is expensive in Korea.
  • Options
    jeffgibbsjeffgibbs Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My desktop is so old I just loaded Lubuntu on it and will use it as a files server. For my daily usage I use a dell laptop that I dual boot Win7 and kubuntu. I keep the the laptop docked since I like a larger screen and keyboard. Not very sexy but it gets me by.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My tablet is my main computer, don't go telling me it isn't a computer because it is /jk.

My desktop is primarily for gaming now a days I don't even bother loading Office on it anymore. My laptop is what I use for anything else like taxes, budgets, etc.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Nyblizzard wrote: »
    Surprised at the amount of laptops as main computers icon_rolleyes.gif

I was surprised as well, but for the opposite. Didn't imagine many people were using desktops as their main computer anymore. I haven't owned one in over 10 years.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was surprised as well, but for the opposite. Didn't imagine many people were using desktops as their main computer anymore. I haven't owned one in over 10 years.

How do you expect to fit a 50 lb video card that draws more power than the entire computer into a laptop? lol

Yeah besides major gaming I really haven't had a need for a desktop for quite a few years....
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use a laptop, I use it for entertainment, learning and host my VM's and at work I use a desktop machine.
  • Options
    sasnimrodsasnimrod Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I mainly use a 15.6" laptop as my main computing device.

The only thing that bugs me is that it has a 5400rpm hard-disk which tends to slow things down a little bit icon_sad.gif I've been planning on getting an SSD so maybe I can speed things up :)
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    alan2308 wrote: »

Sure you can.

Lenovo W530
    32GB of RAM
    512GB SSD
    1TB SSD in DVD Bay

WPnLtTq.png

I even play Diablo 3 on this thing with the K1000 Nvidia in it.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    1 TB SSD, boy oh boy, that is an expensive piece of equipment!

icon_surprised.gif
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    I have a macbook pro retina 11,1 running Ubuntu 14.04 as my main machine.
  • Options
    DAVID QDAVID Q Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use little of both Desktop and laptop although as of writings im on the laptop now.
    I'm still a proud supporter of the desktop because of its:
    1.Gaming
    2.Entertament
    3.Larger screen
    4.Server functions plus older desktops can always be turned into file servers or some other type of dedicated server type functions
    5.Upgrdability

Also it keeps economy moving and people employed. I like laptops, but I also like tradition and not the trends of companies doing away with the desktop because younger generation follows trends blindly.

Then again at the end of the day desktops,labtops and portabels have their time & place the workplace and at home. I plan on buying mutiple desktops durning christmas season in support of the economy