Unable to get Network connection via Ethernet cable

kenichiwaaakenichiwaaa Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I currently have a Windows 7 machine with custom group policies. I'm trying to connect to the internet so I can download Windows updates.

Right now, I can't get internet connection when I plug in the Ethernet cable -- The IPV4 Properties are sent to "Obtain an IP address automatically". Does anybody know the group policy setting that's disabling network connection?

Thanks in advanced!

Comments

• ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Have you tried pinging 127.0.0.1 to confirm the NIC is working properly, and the gateway address of your router to see if you can at least reach the device? Are you able to connect wirelessly?
  • kenichiwaaakenichiwaaa Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ande0255 wrote: »
    Have you tried pinging 127.0.0.1 to confirm the NIC is working properly, and the gateway address of your router to see if you can at least reach the device? Are you able to connect wirelessly?

Yes, I can reach it. "Packets sent = 4, Received = 4., Lost = 0 (0% loss)

The machine is a classroom workstation and doesn't have a wireless card to connect wirelessly.
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    What ip is the workstation getting?? Is can you ping a device locally?
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First thing I always like to ask my customers: "Does it have link lights?" :D
    Secondly, do an ipconfig /all in the cmd prompt (or power shell. Depending on your permissions)
    Look for the default gateway, then look at the IP address. Is it a 169 or other prefix for the first octet? Does it say duplicate in the parenthesis next to it?
    If you can see the gateway, try to ping it. What are your results so far?
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []