Options

Win 7 cert or Security+

RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
Haven't done any certs since finishing up the MCDST (XP) in 2008. I've been working in IT for over 20 years, mostly doing help desk, PC Tech and desktop support work. The 70-680 exam seems to be very difficult just from the looks of it. Also, I am thinking about taking the Security+ just to "complete the CompTIA triple crown." I have been working on a large scale Windows 7 upgrade though mostly in a help desk/remote support role. I'm not sure of which exam to take. Either one is going to require a lot of work. I'm just wondering which would be least expensive and even which one is easier. I have no idea!

Comments

• Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RD28327 wrote: »
    Haven't done any certs since finishing up the MCDST (XP) in 2008. I've been working in IT for over 20 years, mostly doing help desk, PC Tech and desktop support work. The 70-680 exam seems to be very difficult just from the looks of it. Also, I am thinking about taking the Security+ just to "complete the CompTIA triple crown." I have been working on a large scale Windows 7 upgrade though mostly in a help desk/remote support role. I'm not sure of which exam to take. Either one is going to require a lot of work. I'm just wondering which would be least expensive and even which one is easier. I have no idea!

I see no benefit to the security+ if you have been working at user end support for the bulk of your work.

Plus, the 70-680 IS hard, isn't that reason enough to study and take it? You have in a Win7 environment, and an MCSA in Win7 will further educate you to provide better value to your job. I just don't see what the Security+ will do for you, other than complete that 'triple crown'

-scott
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Might as well get Win 7 680 to reinforce that experience you have.. would look good going forward.
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why not get both? Yes the rumors are true the 70-680 is a difficult exam that will test your will. It took me three tries to pass, and after the second fail I was so furious at M$. You think I would have stopped, but for some reason I enjoy getting hit on the head over and over. Not sure if my patience level is that high now. =)
  • Options
    RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Davidwws, I went through this same experience when I took 70-272. Came very close three times to passing but finally conquered the beast on the fourth attempt. Don't have that kind of time or patience these days. I think I just need to set a game plan of what materials to use (Poulton's book and Professor Messer videos) and how long I need to study for this test.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Go for your Security+. Not only will you complete the CompTIA trio, but you will also have a new gateway into the security realm of IT. But if time permits along with finances, maybe do both!