Options

HP network certifications?

devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just curious if anyone on the forums holds or is familiar with the HP networking certifications. I'm currently prepping for the ICND2 (2 more weeks until I test), but my employer has a strong preference for HP infrastructure. We are basically a MSP for school districts and a few other businesses, and HP gear is A) cheap, and B) has a lifetime warranty. I'm wondering if anybody has any information or can compare/contrast the CCNA vs the HP ATA (or whatever the equivalent is).

I plan on having my CCNA, I'm just wondering if it's worth my time to grab the HP cert as well. So far my only exposure to HP gear has been through the web GUI, and there's nothing there that I haven't already learned from Cisco. I'm just trying to decide if I should go the HP route or try to grab my VCA next (we use vSphere quite a bit). Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't waste my time on HP certifications. HP's CLI is pretty much a direct copy of the IOS. I've managed both HP procurves and Cisco switches and they are pretty straight forward with a couple of differences.

Go for Cisco certs, and have the capability to manage both HP and Cisco.

Take note:

HP Trunk is NOT the same as a Cisco Trunk
  • Options
    ^^That's pretty much what I thought, I just wanted to hear it from someone a little more experienced than myself. I figured with CCNA knowledge and understanding some of the different terms, that'd I'd be set. We still use Cisco gear for our wireless, firewall, and router, so I didn't think I'd be missing much.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Go type in Network Administrator or Network Engineer on a job board site, look how many are asking for CCNA/CCNP vs HP and play the odds
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can help you with info regarding VMware certifications let me know after you defeat the CCNA!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    locastrolocastro Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree, stick with the Cisco certifications. HP certifications just don't have the ROI as a Cisco certs does. The training guides are not as in-depth and as polished as Cisco either. For example, when I needed to get up to speed on QoS, I used Cisco Press and INE Cisco material first, then apply what I've learned to my HP environment. I have the AIS/ATP and also one one of the ASE exams done. Was planning on finishing the ASE when time and budget permits, but it's a low priority. We use quite a bit of A Series gear at my company and the while the command line is quite different everything you learn in your Cisco studies and experience will transfer over.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, everyone. And I'll definitely hit you up when I start in on VMware...I might dig deeper into Cisco first, but I haven't made up my mind yet. Considering CCNA: Wireless since we are doing a big upgrade to our wireless network this summer, and even though I won't be doing any configuring (it's basically all configured already), it's still useful knowledge to have.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    I wouldn't waste my time on HP certifications. HP's CLI is pretty much a direct copy of the IOS. I've managed both HP procurves and Cisco switches and they are pretty straight forward with a couple of differences.

Go for Cisco certs, and have the capability to manage both HP and Cisco.

Take note:

HP Trunk is NOT the same as a Cisco Trunk

I have to concur. I'm not even Cisco Certified yet but I know HP Procurve CLI like the back of my hand. the interface commands are very similiar to Cisco. The same principles of Cisco still apply to HP. ... personally I wouldn't get the certification; I will contest though that much of the reason I'm picking up quickly with Cisco CLI is because I know HP Procurve's so well....

hope this helps!
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Using the cisco CLI really makes me appreciate the pro curve line.