Options

Router to Router cabling question...

wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
Ok so if I was connecting router to router I would use a crossover cable, but I bought some kit off ebay and simply plugged it all in without erasing the config. I used router to router with a straight through cable and it worked...

I erased the config and it stopped working. I forgot to check the running config, is there some setting that allows straight through router to router?

Tell me I'm not going crazy...

Comments

• Options
    SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    could be auto mdi-x configuration
    but I am not sure.
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What 2 routers were you connecting?
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    A 2811 and a 2691. Had set up a link and pinged over the ports.

I had everything working, all lights on, erased the startup config and it stopped working. Then I realised of course it had because it was a straight through cable... Which is why im confused it was working in the first place!

Honestly, I could be going mad, but I swear I did not change anything round.

IF there is no possible way they could communicate thats fine but im wondering if there is some sort of way they can switch inside, that I don't know about. Better to ask than to dismiss...
  • Options
    but I am not sure.

Thanks, this sounds plausable from doing a google search.
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    nevermind

?
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    but I am not sure.

^this sounds about right
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are correct about MDIX. When I started to build my lab at home from parts acquired from eBay, ran into this issue as well and thought I was losing my mind. The reason being is that I would use the same “incorrect” cord to connect to another like device and it would work on one model but then not work on another of the same model.

After doing some research, I found that it was because certain devices had auto-MDIX enabled (globally) while some did not. I am assuming it was disabled on certain models that I purchased due to the security of the environment it came from unauthorized connections to another router/switch without a cross-over cable. When you have auto-MDIX enabled, you can use either type of cable to connect to other like devices and the interface will automatically correct any incorrect cabling. I’ve had issues with getting MDIX to work properly and found that if you set the duplex and speed of the interface to auto, it seems to work flawlessly.

Personally, I disabled it on all of my devices to force me to recognize cables (straight, cross-over, & roll-over) during my studies & labbing. If you wanted to use it on an interface (config-if), you would type “mdix auto”. To disable it on an interface, you would type “no mdix auto”. “show interfaces” will also display if you have mdix enabled or not.

For those that are studying for their CCENT or CCNA, here is my method of remembering cabling if you associate "devices" with “gender relationships”:

• If you like to connect to different devices, then you are STRAIGHT.
    • If you like to connect to the same devices, then you are CROSSing Over.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^^The exception to that being PC->Router, where you would also need to use a crossover cable.
  • Options
    davenulldavenull Member Posts: 173 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Doyen wrote: »
    I’ve had issues with getting MDIX to work properly and found that if you set the duplex and speed of the interface to auto, it seems to work flawlessly.

That's the trade-off of using MDIX. It's not possible to enable MDIX and still have hard-coded speed and duplex. I don't work in the industry yet but I'm getting a vibe that the best practice is to always assign speed and duplex manually hence proper cables are needed.
  • Options
    Thanks people, its always best to ask than to wonder. Learned something new and hope it helps someone else.
  • Options
    jeffgibbsjeffgibbs Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @ Doyen .... Good advice on disabling the auto MDIX feature. I had not thought about it. Love the leaning tower. It looks like a good setup. Like the people in the other thread were saying it does need to be secured .... somehow.
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So far, my "leaning tower of Cisco" setup works. I will get around to re-balancing it to make it more stable, but I never seem to get around to doing it since I use that time for labbing purposes instead. Most likely, when I purchase some devices for CCNA Security studies, I will reorganize it icon_redface.gif
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.