Options

CISSP not reimbursed by the VA?

jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I filed with the VA under chapter 33 (post 9/11 GI Bill) for reimbursement of the test's cost.

I've done this before and the process was simple. Just mail in the completed VA form, the receipt of the test, and the testing center score report. It took about a month to be reimbursed, pass or fail.

I mailed in my claim the day I passed my test, 14 Apr 14, and got the response last night.

Unfortunately, the claim came back as denied due to "not being an approved test". The VA's site shows it as an approved test and ISC(2)'s website advertises the post 9/11 GI Bill as an avenue towards certification.

Has anyone been approved/denied for reimbursement? I'm able to submit additional information, so I'm sending the VA screenshots of their own site.
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna

Comments

• Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you are pursuing the best course of action in sending them screenshots of their own site. I looked into this in the past and also saw that the CISSP was listed on the VA's site as reimbursable so I think it might just be an error on their part. Good luck and be sure to let us know how it turns out!
  • Options
    Thanks, I'm also sending them a memo explaining the situation as well as all of my original documents.

I've had the worst post test luck with CISSP...I get audited by ISC(2), my company fails to reimburse the cost of the test on time (still waiting on my mailed checked sent from 50 miles up the road...), and the VA denies me on a test showing as approved on their own site.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    That really is a string of bad luck, but just think, once all the dust settles you have the hard part of actually passing the exam behind you!
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Have you tried calling them? I usually have better luck when I call the VA and fax in documents as opposed to emailing for some reason.
  • Options
    Although I do prefer calling them, I don't have the time to be on hold right now...my next best record with the VA outside of calling them has been mailing in documents, as scary as that sounds.

The letter mentioned that I could mail in some documents (they asked for ISC2's address...despite it being on the original application) so I'll be getting everything together today to have it mailed out.
  • Options
    good luck. It sounds like you are doing everything you can short of driving up to your regional office.... hahaha. I wish the education dept had a call back feature like the general line does.
  • Options
    Yep, the whole thing has been a hassle. The easiest part of the whole deal was probably taking the test, hah.

I've got everything compiled (my memo, a copy of the denial they sent, 2 screenshots of their own site saying CISSP is an approved certification, 1 screenshot of ISC2's website showing the ability to use the GI Bill, and my receipt and score print out). Going to drop this off at the post office on the way home. Already spent 3 weeks waiting, don't want to waste another day.

SN - Spoke to my PM today about my reimbursement that was mailed out last week. Apparently it's on its way at the moment. He also mentioned that he had got contacted in regards to my audit.

Maybe one day I'll finally be able to add CISSP to my certs off to the left, hah!
  • Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So your company is reimbursing the cost of the test, and you are trying to get reimbursement from the VA?
  • Options
    Yes.

I am eligible for reimbursement from the VA due to my 4 years of service in the military and my company will reimburse me as well if I pass.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I've gotten soooo many tests reimbursed by the VA it isn't even funny, CISSP included. You should have no hassles, it's on WEAMS. Whoever processed your claim probably goofed.
  • Options
    If you get a test reimbursed by the VA does it cost any of your GI bill eligibility? I paid for the CISSP and CCNA out of pocket and never thought of pursuing VA reimbursement because I wasn't sure if it would cut into my 36 months of 9/11 GI bill eligibility. If it doesn't please tell me how to go about claiming reimbursement!

I am currently using the 9/11 GI bill to go to school by the way, if that makes a difference
  • Options
    Yes, it does. For every X amount reimbursed, it takes a month off of your 36 months.

I can't remember the value for X at the moment, but I will update the post once I do.

I'm a few classes short of my BA so I'm not too strapped for the months. I could get a masters with the entitlements I have left.

Not to mention that I have the state of Texas the Hazlewood Act which entitles 150 hours of college tuition...
  • Options
    zxbane wrote: »
    If you get a test reimbursed by the VA does it cost any of your GI bill eligibility? I paid for the CISSP and CCNA out of pocket and never thought of pursuing VA reimbursement because I wasn't sure if it would cut into my 36 months of 9/11 GI bill eligibility. If it doesn't please tell me how to go about claiming reimbursement!

I am currently using the 9/11 GI bill to go to school by the way, if that makes a difference

It absolutely does. For Chapter 35 DEA, where you get $1000/mo, it takes out the cost of the test for a number of days. It does the same for the Gi Bill but the amount is trivial IIRC. One caveat is that you must have at least 1 month of Chap 33 benefit in order to claim from. I have less than 1 month and I am not allowed to claim any longer icon_sad.gif, even if it were like 29 or 28 days remaining benefit for ICND1/2 ($150).

Even if it does I would still claim against. They should be able to tell you how many days it'll take from your benefits. I really wouldn't be surprised if you could claim CISSP&CCNA against maybe 5 or 6 days from your 36 months.
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    I can't remember the value for X at the moment, but I will update the post once I do.

$2000? I want to say $2000 for some reason, per equivalent month.
  • Options
    Yes.

I am eligible for reimbursement from the VA due to my 4 years of service in the military and my company will reimburse me as well if I pass.

Interesting. It seems like it would be against the code of ethics to seek two reimbursements for the same test.
  • Options
    Yes, it does. For every X amount reimbursed, it takes a month off of your 36 months.

I'm a few classes short of my BA so I'm not too strapped for the months. I could get a masters with the entitlements I have left.

Not to mention that I have the state of Texas the Hazlewood Act which entitles 150 hours of college tuition...

Nice, I am on the other end of the spectrum. I am set to graduate with my MBA (used the 9/11 for my undergrad as well, took 4 classes per quarter) and I will have roughly 2 months left to spare on my post 9/11 when I graduate. I will probably end up using those towards certifications, either reimbursements or bootcamps
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jt2929 wrote: »
    Interesting. It seems like it would be against the code of ethics to seek two reimbursements for the same test.

Could you please explain why you believe this to be so?
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Could you please explain why you believe this to be so?

If the company is already reimbursing the cost of the test, the VA reimbursement would be extra money in the pocket under a false assumption that the money was going to be used for the test cost. The VA is giving money to cover the cost of something that has already been paid for. I can't be the only one that sees something wrong with that.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jt2929 wrote: »
    If the company is already reimbursing the cost of the test, the VA reimbursement would be extra money in the pocket under a false assumption that the money was going to be used for the test cost. The VA is giving money to cover the cost of something that has already been paid for. I can't be the only one that sees something wrong with that.

Actually, the VA money is, essentially, an educational trust. The money is put into the budget in our name. It is money owed to us. As such, it is like using money from an education savings account. So, would it be wrong for him to use money from an ESA to pay for the exam and then submit the cert expense to his company? He traded four years of his life in order to have that "benefit".

Now, having said all that, I would still check with the company to make sure that "double-dipping" doesn't pose an ethical, moral, or legal issue for them. Especially if they are a publicly traded company.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Actually, the VA money is, essentially, an educational trust. The money is put into the budget in our name. It is money owed to us. As such, it is like using money from an education savings account. So, would it be wrong for him to use money from an ESA to pay for the exam and then submit the cert expense to his company? He traded four years of his life in order to have that "benefit".

Now, having said all that, I would still check with the company to make sure that "double-dipping" doesn't pose an ethical, moral, or legal issue for them. Especially if they are a publicly traded company.

I understand what the VA money is and understand that it is a benefit given to those that served in the military. The issue is with the "double-dipping" as you put it.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My issue is with the VA determining appropriate uses for the funds. If I want it to pay for a class rather than a test, I should be able to do that. But according to current policy, I have to go to an "approved" school, which means one of maybe 5 training companies that offer traditional courses I've mostly exceeded the level of. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Guess my appeal using screen shots worked.

I got my $599 reimbursement from the VA directly deposited to my account. Considering I mailed out the appeal on the 6th, I'm beyond surprised to have it at 10 days. That's the fastest I've ever been serviced by the VA.
  • Options
    Feels good don't it? icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Good Deal! I have to say you're one brave dude using snail mail with the VA.
  • Options
    Heh, I get that a lot. Luckily the regional office is close to me in Oklahoma...but yeah, I'd say it's a crap shoot. I'm lucky that nothing has got lost yet.

Funny they sent it to me via direct deposit...that last time I got reimbursed, they didn't use DD (even though it was on file), and when they made an error (surprise), I submitted again with a DD form to have the difference directly deposited which they responded to by sending a check.

This time I didn't bother requesting a direct deposit and they used it anyways...glad none of my bank account's information has changed!
  • Options
    I actually got a notice in the mail from the VA and they docked my remaining post 9/11 benefits to show that I've been awarded reimbursement for my CISSP test. I was hoping for an apology or reasoning as to why my original claim was denied, but I just received the standard letter that tried to play off that I was ever denied in the first place.
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It could be that they goofed up, but they may have been trying to help you by submitting under a different program instead of taking directly from your GI Bill account. For your GI Bill, you get docked a full month of the benefit for even a low-expense exam, but if they could take that out of a different category of assistance you would have retained that month of benefit and still been reimbursed.

If you or your dependents can use the GI Bill to go to school full time, just the housing allowance for a month is probably much higher than what you just got reimbursed for the exam, so in general a lot of folks try not to use their GI Bill for exams unless they're certain they won't use the benefit otherwise.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That was one benefit of the Ch 30, it just docked the amount in days, not an entire month. I have Hazlewood as well, I think I can transfer it to my kids, at least here's hoping!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed