Options

Where to go from here? (VCP5-DCV)

Tommy_DTommy_D Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
In reading the signatures of some you folks, it seems we have several VCAP folks present so I wanted to ask the question, how did you decide which VCAP path to take? I think I may end up going the VCAP route, but I'm not sure which one. I am a consultant for a company that works quite a bit in VDI as well as server's, and also does some cloud stuff (we have a few clients using vCloud director)...so any way I go would fit in here.

Thoughts? :)

Comments

• Options
    SimonD.SimonD. Member Posts: 111
    What's stopping you taking multiple paths? I have a colleague who has both Cloud and DCV, was thinking about the DT but as he doesn't work with Horizon decided against it.

You could do a Fred Hofer and get all 6 VCAPs instead ;)
    My Blog - http://www.everything-virtual.com
    vExpert 2012\2013\2014\2015
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I havnt taken any of the VCAP exams but I personally would download the blueprint to whatever exam and go through the objectives to see what I think would be beneficial given my current role. I say current role because if there is no chance in me performing any of the tasks, odds are that I will forget what I learned very quickly.
  • Options
    SimonD. wrote: »
    What's stopping you taking multiple paths? I have a colleague who has both Cloud and DCV, was thinking about the DT but as he doesn't work with Horizon decided against it.

You could do a Fred Hofer and get all 6 VCAPs instead ;)

Haha, there is no way I have the mental capacity or patience to take 6 more exams :). I guess I'm more curious of the reasons you picked the VCAP (those who have that is) that you did.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since you have the good fortune of being able to work on all three technologies, do your VCAP in what ever tickles your fancy the most. Personally, I dont work with vCD or View so the VCAP5-DCD and DCA were a logical choice. Now because I am a glutton for punishment, I'm taking the DTA in 2 months. But seriously though, you could take any VCAP really apart from the ones for the vCD. With VMware moving away from vCD and onto vCAC, it might make sense to forgo the VCAP - CID and CIA. So you are left with the DCD/DCA and the DTA/DTD quartet. To further narrow it down, what do you do at work - administer or design? Your answer to this question should answer your about your choice of VCAP.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Since you have the good fortune of being able to work on all three technologies, do your VCAP in what ever tickles your fancy the most. Personally, I dont work with vCD or View so the VCAP5-DCD and DCA were a logical choice. Now because I am a glutton for punishment, I'm taking the DTA in 2 months. But seriously though, you could take any VCAP really apart from the ones for the vCD. With VMware moving away from vCD and onto vCAC, it might make sense to forgo the VCAP - CID and CIA. So you are left with the DCD/DCA and the DTA/DTD quartet. To further narrow it down, what do you do at work - administer or design? Your answer to this question should answer your about your choice of VCAP.

Good thoughts...I do both, more administration than design at this point, but going forward will likely be designing more. I think I'll chat with my superiors and see what their thoughts are on either the Desktop Design or Data Center Design.