CompTia Linux+

On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the hardest. How would you rate the Linux+ exam? I've heard it was a 10! Just want to know what others think?

Comments

• seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    well thats not a very good question

1 being the easiest and 10 being the hardest then CCIE would be a 10

and everything else is probably 2 and under
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I think he meant L+ on a scale by itself. I have heard close to 6 or 7, but I haven't really looked at Linux much. It can't be too difficult, as it is an entry level exam. And CCIE would be more like 100, not 10, and TenT96 can attest I believe.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
    I took the new Linux+ exam in October. A 655/900 is passing and I got a 750, but I spent more time studying for Linux+ than I did on the CCNA.

I would say the practice questions online and in the stuff I read are about half as difficult as the actual exam.

The practice questions here: http://www.mcmcse.com/forums/exams/ were not far off the difficulty of the actual exam.

For a Windows user (like me), I would give it a 7 only because you can miss a fair amount of questions and still pass, but it is broader in range than the CCNA IMHO.

The stuff I read only covered about 70% of what was on the exam, but it was also written for the old exam. before I took the exam, I went through the new objectives one by one and looked up the stuff I thought I was weak on. YMMV with updated study material though.
  • cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Thanks 4 all your reply's and advice. Good Luck
  • kurrierkurrier Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    it's about a 7. but don't underestimate the exam, just prepared and get a good understanding about all portions of what could be on the exam. (NIS, route, iptables, samba, ifconfig).
  • TeslTesl Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it depends. I'm a long time Linux user, I use it at home and have done for years. Therefore there is nothing on that test I see as difficult (although I haven't actually taken it).

The perceived difficulty comes from if you have grown up on Windows and never used anything else. Sure, its damn difficult to become a Linux administrator if you have never used it even as a desktop machine before. If you have been using Linux for a while, then the exam is pretty easy (I'd be suprised if I couldn't pass it within a couple of weeks at most)

So, 1-10 I'd give it a 1. It's about the easiest IT exam I know of. For someone who has never even booted a Linux machine, it would be muchhhh tougher.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tesl wrote:
    I think it depends. I'm a long time Linux user, I use it at home and have done for years. Therefore there is nothing on that test I see as difficult (although I haven't actually taken it).

The perceived difficulty comes from if you have grown up on Windows and never used anything else. Sure, its damn difficult to become a Linux administrator if you have never used it even as a desktop machine before. If you have been using Linux for a while, then the exam is pretty easy (I'd be suprised if I couldn't pass it within a couple of weeks at most)

So, 1-10 I'd give it a 1. It's about the easiest IT exam I know of. For someone who has never even booted a Linux machine, it would be muchhhh tougher.

If you've never taken the exam, how can you possibly rate it or say it's the easiest exam you know of? icon_lol.gif

Think about the hoards of people that have used XP and worked a HelpDesk for XP for years and yet have a hard time with 270, 271 or 272. I have used and administered NT, W2K and W2K3 for years but I would never be so bold as to say that 70-215 or 70-290 are a 1.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Comparing the L+ to the other three you mentioned in the subject, it is probably the easiest. If you have a lot of linux expiration, you may want to skip the L+ and move to the LPI. I am not sure if SAIR is a viable option anymore. You may also want to look into what Novell is offering.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Tesl wrote:
    If you've never taken the exam, how can you possibly rate it or say it's the easiest exam you know of? icon_lol.gif

It's a fair question. I'm going entirely from the given requirements, as well as being a little familiar with the CompTIA format. The requirements are not at all difficult, lets say.
    Tesl wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Tesl wrote:

It's a fair question. I'm going entirely from the given requirements, as well as being a little familiar with the CompTIA format. The requirements are not at all difficult, lets say.

I understand. What's stopping you from taking it, if I may ask? Lack of interest, lack of resourses? Personally, if I thought I could nail an exam with 2-3 weeks of study I would do it just for the sake of doing it. And I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just curious. :)
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Tesl wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Tesl wrote:

I understand. What's stopping you from taking it, if I may ask? Lack of interest, lack of resourses? Personally, if I thought I could nail an exam with 2-3 weeks of study I would do it just for the sake of doing it. And I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just curious. :)

For me right now, I'm working as a programmer and not a sys admin. That means that the L+ is not immediately valuable, so its always been easy to put it off. Whenever I've had extra time to want to study for an exam, I've always tended to study something new and interesting (rather than specific trivia that could potentially catch me out on the L+ exam).

Admittedly one week I might just think screw it, and go get the thing passed. I actually expect my career to move further and further away from technology as time passes however, and right now it offers me nothing in terms of career opportunities. Just low motivation for that one I guess :)
  • Uchiha SasukeUchiha Sasuke Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This topic has right name so I will ask here :)

Ok, now I'm finishing my CCNA (one more week) and I have decide to go Cisco, Linux/Unix path icon_wink.gif

I have recently user of Linux and when I installed that OS on my PC and use it, my eyes are open, and I can see the light icon_lol.gif (for me it's sooo much better then Microsoft)

Ok enough chit-chat, question is icon_wink.gif

I was thinking to go on Linux + and after that LPIC 1 , but when I was thalking with experience Linux users in my country (Croatia) about Linux + certification they don't even know what that is ??

And they strongly recommended LPIC certification :)

For me it's better to go on Linux + and then after LPIC 1 , but if "no one" don't know my Linux + is it worth to go ? no metter if that certification will not give me any value in eyes of my employer ? (for exemple)

What do you think ?

Thank you :D
    ;)
    This topic has right name so I will ask here :)

Ok, now I'm finishing my CCNA (one more week) and I have decide to go Cisco, Linux/Unix path icon_wink.gif

I have recently user of Linux and when I installed that OS on my PC and use it, my eyes are open, and I can see the light icon_lol.gif (for me it's sooo much better then Microsoft)

Ok enough chit-chat, question is icon_wink.gif

I was thinking to go on Linux + and after that LPIC 1 , but when I was thalking with experience Linux users in my country (Croatia) about Linux + certification they don't even know what that is ??

And they strongly recommended LPIC certification :)

For me it's better to go on Linux + and then after LPIC 1 , but if "no one" don't know my Linux + is it worth to go ? no metter if that certification will not give me any value in eyes of my employer ? (for exemple)

What do you think ?

Thank you :D

Okay, since you're a new member we'll excuse the topic hijacking. icon_wink.gif

To answer your question, it depends on what your motive is for getting certified. If you are getting certified to verify/prove your skill set, then the Linux+>LPIC would be a good path. If you are looking for a raise, promotion or new job, then you have to get what employers are looking for, which in your country may be the LPIC. So even though the Linux+ may be a good stepping stone on the certification path, it is not a requirement.