Lab Issues (VirtualBox)

MichaelD95MichaelD95 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I've been trying to create a virtual environment so that I can study for my MCSA, I've been using bridged connection on all the machines that require a connection, the first machine is able to connect perfectly fine (With internet access), however when I create the second machine, then nothing works.. "Destination Host Unreachable" and network connection becomes unidentified.

Does anyone have any solutions for this it's been VERY aggravating.

Comments

• pandiculatorpandiculator Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MichaelD95 wrote: »
    "Destination Host Unreachable" and network connection becomes unidentified.

If you copied the VM, check that the MAC address for each VM is unique.

If your first machine is a domain controller and you copied the machine without running Sysprep your second machine will have the same SID - member servers cannot have the same SID as the domain controller. If this is the case you should see an error in the event log.
  • SamMerlotteSamMerlotte Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I did my first lab on Virtualbox, I used this guide. Ultimate VirtualBox Lab: Configure VirtualBox Virtual Server

It won't directly answer the question to resolve the issue you posted. However, following his method--you probably won't encounter it again. I never did.
  • atari37atari37 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MichaelD95 wrote: »
    So I've been trying to create a virtual environment so that I can study for my MCSA, I've been using bridged connection on all the machines that require a connection, the first machine is able to connect perfectly fine (With internet access), however when I create the second machine, then nothing works.. "Destination Host Unreachable" and network connection becomes unidentified.

I'm sure you have your reasons but I'll ask anyway. How come you aren't using Hyper-V for your environment? This will help you greatly with the Hyper-V questions
  • unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you using pfSense like that guide suggests? That is the exact guide that I used to set up my virtual lab.

You are essentially setting up a VM with PFsense that has 2 network adapters. 1 of them will be bridged but the 2nd will be internal. For every windows VM you are using, you'll have to use the internal adaptor...not bridged. From your post, it sounds like that's what you're doing wrong.

Here is my configuration:

Pf Sense VM:

WAN link(bridged adapter) 192.168.1.50 (an IP on my home network's subnet)
    LAN Link (Internal adapter) 10.10.1.3 (the gateway address of my Windows test environment network)

All windows VMs:

LAN link(Internal adapter) 10.10.1.x
  • AIRPILKAIRPILK Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you copied the VM, check that the MAC address for each VM is unique.

If your first machine is a domain controller and you copied the machine without running Sysprep your second machine will have the same SID - member servers cannot have the same SID as the domain controller. If this is the case you should see an error in the event log.

I used this article and everything works well.

The Ji Village News » Setting up Windows development environment with VirtualBox