Options

A little advice from the pros

xlg123xlg123 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Need some pointers in the right direction. I’m 30 years old and need to change career fields. I’ve been a police officer for 10 years, and as such, that’s where all my experience is. I have always loved computers and picked up the info quickly. I am about 8 classes from my BS in CS. I have some time and plan on getting an A+ (should be easy) to start, than CCNA.
I’ve always been the “computer” guy everyone has gone to for everything from “how do I save a file” to “I typed FDISK, can I get my stuff back….?”
In 94-96 I built custom PCs from scratch on the side. The only other documentable (if that’s a word) experience I have is doing computer forensic work. I currently handle the investigations for my agency, from system seizure, evidence seizure (EnCase, etc…) to the final report and courtroom testimony on the computer aspect. I have about a year before I need to make any drastic changes. Any advice would be appreciated. I’m in Central Florida, and I’ve looked at the ads “2-5 years exp., 10 years exp., etc.
TIA!!
Oh, and I have a family, so starting out at $9 an hour probably isnt an option.... Thanks Again.

Comments

• Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I live in Central florida as well, and I find it to be hectic getting a job anywhere. I tried to get a job with the IMS department at the Orange county police department and after nearly a year of waiting...my application got turned down. ;_; Places like that are tough, so I respect the work you've done so far. Have you thought about going into digital security after your A+?

Security would certainly seem like your line of work. I know many people who went from being police offices to security or general tech guys at police departments. I'd say use what you have to go further instead of starting from scratch.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you should stay where you are for a bit longer. If you can do computer forensics (which is an area that I and many others are interested in) then stick with it. Get 4 or 5 years forensic experience, push for more IT security training from your dept. and then walk out at consultant level earning big bucks. Thats would be my plan anyway.

But if you need a change you would probably have to start at the bottom of security type work maybe, or just general IT
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Law enforcement and forensics training experience using Encase should get you a very good in any "big city." Is moving a possibility for you?

I have an acquaintance who tried for years to get a gig like that in SoCal, but could not get a foothold. He ended up enrolling in the police academy, and after two years he collected enough experience and networking contacts to get him working in the forensics business.

Also, I'm in Orange County too, but in Southern California icon_cool.gif