Options

Quick Question about MCITP

A couple of years ago, I started studying for MCITP, Windows 2008 r2, then of course life sidetracked me, I still have my Study resources, it was put out by SYMEX in a 3 book format, with CD's and such, I know things have moved along and it seems as if many are now studying for Win 2012. I am wondering, is it worth going through the 2008 stuff get my cert, then update to 2012, or is 2008 still prevalent enough in the field to make it worth completing the course I currently own. I have a Poweredge 1850 with Win 2008 r2 installed on it, that I can do practical exercises and such. IS the 2012 version really that much different than 2008?

Thanks in advance.
Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.

Comments

• Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say it depends on what your job uses. I'm still studying 2008 as well since at my job we don't even have 1 2012 server yet.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I would say it depends on what your job uses. I'm still studying 2008 as well since at my job we don't even have 1 2012 server yet.

Thanks, actually I am retired, so I have plenty of time to do either, I am doing this because I have played with stuff for over 30 years now, but I don't want to waste time getting certs in something that is not being used much anylonger, My wife and I are planning on setting up a data center for her internet business and I want to do independent consulting as most of the companies around here don't have full time IT staff's, I am also working on Cisco certs as well.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Windows Server 2008 isn't going away any time soon and neither are the certifications for it. I would say roughly 80% of my company's servers are 2008 R2.

You may want to make sure your material is up to date and includes the R2 updates. I also found the Microsoft Technet articles linked on the Microsoft subforums here very useful. I bought the 1 year subscription to CBTNuggets.com and used the Transcender practices tests in addition to years of work experience.

Also, there is no certification called "MCITP". There is a certification called MCITP:EA and there was a certification called MCITP:SA (it was retired and replaced by the MCSA 2008 which has the same requirements).

Hope that information helps and best of luck to you!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    Windows Server 2008 isn't going away any time soon and neither are the certifications for it. I would say roughly 80% of my company's servers are 2008 R2.

You may want to make sure your material is up to date and includes the R2 updates. I also found the Microsoft Technet articles linked on the Microsoft subforums here very useful. I bought the 1 year subscription to CBTNuggets.com and used the Transcender practices tests in addition to years of work experience.

Also, there is no certification called "MCITP". There is a certification called MCITP:EA and there was a certification called MCITP:SA (it was retired and replaced by the MCSA 2008 which has the same requirements).

Hope that information helps and best of luck to you!

Thanks for the information, the study guides I have states on the cover it is a "Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator Certification Kit", the three books are titled "MCTS, Active Directory Configuration Study Guide" "MCTS, Network Infrastructure Study Guide" and "MCITP, Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator Study Guide" there is also 3 CD's included and 750 plus practice questions.

I just want to make sure, that I am following the correct path and not studying things that will be of no use.

Thanks again.