Options

CCNA Wireless Capabilities and study time

nb-nb- Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello

I just recently got my CCNA R&S and are now looking to do the CCNA:Wireless before dipping into CCNP R&S. From what i hear the exam is supposedly really hard? How did you guys find it compared to the CCNA exam? How long time did you spend studying for the CCNA:Wireless? I sat with a CCNA:Wireless Study Guide at work the other day, and i belive it was around 300 pages only? I know it dosen't neccesarily mean that the exam is an easy pass, but i mean.. I can't help to think that the exam might be much easier than the CCNA R&S considering the exam is all covered in 300 pages?

The other question i have is what the CCNA:Wireless makes you capable of exactly.. I have a few colleagues who are all experienced R&S guys.. All of them works as Network Consultants and are either CCNP or CCIE R&S. While none of them has any wireless certs, they do have some practical experience.. Enough to configure WLC's, AP's, Troubleshoot wireless issues, cover site surveys, and do Prime upgrades and so on, basically they are all able to manage all the wireless tickets we got coming in from customers, and if i ask them how much they would value their wireless knowledge they all say that they probably know the same as a CCNA:Wireless dude would..

Im the trainee in the company, and i see this as an opportunity to make myself worth keeping if i start gaining wireless knowledge considering the fact that all the other consultants are either R&S or Security guys. What im really asking about is how much value the CCNA:Wireless has compared to the CCNA R&S. I know what im capable of with a basic CCNA.. When they say its the basic of networking they really mean it, but is it the same for the ccna:wireless or will your skillset be wider than the regular ccna?

Comments

• Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I think I recall someone here saying that the majority of CCIE-Wireless folks work for Cisco (TAC), where they have practically unlimited access to the resources required to design and test the topologies at that level.

True or not, I think the demand for CCNA-Wireless is simply lower than R&S, Security and voice. Having done much work on the WLC myself, once they're deployed there isn't much to their operations. Definitely much less change then R&S, but not as political as security. Whereas an organization may have several net admins and security engineers to handle the myriad of R&S/Security challenges, a single wireless guy (who is good at what they do) can administer a global corporate fleet of WLCs and APs, especially if something such as Cisco prime is in use.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I had taken an older version of the CCNA: Wireless but from my experience, it covers the basics of the basics of wireless. (LWAP/WLC Operations)

I'd highly recommend the CWNP Professional certifications if you want to focus on wireless.

(It is possible the newer version of the CCNA: Wireless have changed the exam quite a bit).
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS