Options

Challenging CISSP soon

lolo974lolo974 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I've been lurking in this forum since the past 3 months and follow thoroughly each person that attempt the CISSP (study plan, score on test, ... :D)

I am a network security engineer and work in IT security for 2 years.

I decided to pass the CISSP to prove myself that I have the abilities to pass one of the toughest IT sec certification and to learn new things in this field. I am studying for 2 month right now.

My study plan:
Eric Conrad book
Eric Conrad 11th hour book
summary and end of chapters questions of Shon Harris AIO
sunflower summary
cccure (paid version)

This is few of my last scores:

AIO book, end of chapter tests (first time)

1. Access Control %86
2. Telecoms %63
3. Risk Management %84
4. Software Development %77
5. Security Architecture %81
6. Operation Security %100
7. BCP and DRP %81
8. Cryptography %88
9. Legal %84
10. Physical %73

AIO quizz in CD ROM

88% (250 questions)

1. Access Control %81
2. Telecoms %92
3. Risk Management %77
4. Software Development %90
5. Security Architecture %85
6. Operation Security %85
7. BCP and DRP %88
8. Cryptography %90
9. Legal %94
10. Physical %93

cccure

Your score: 91% (227 of 250) questions.
Total time used: 1 hour 5 minutes 7 seconds (average 16 seconds per question).
Score distributed by domain: (some questions are in several domains)

86%
(42
of
49)
Access Control

94%
(67
of
71)
Telecommunications and Network Security

92%
(12
of
13)
Information Security Governance and Risk Management

80%
(20
of
25)
Software Development Security

97%
(38
of
39)
Cryptography

90%
(18
of
20)
Security Architecture and Design

93%
(14
of
15)
Operations Security

88%
(14
of
16)
BCP and DRP

93%
(13
of
14)
Legal, Regulations, Investigations and Compliance

100%
(11
of
11)
Physical (Environmental) Security

Moreover, in cccure quizz (25q per chapters) I score between 80 and 100%

I would like to enrol to this test in the next few weeks. What do you think about my study plan. Do you think that I had a chance to pass?

Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you'll be in pretty good shape, especially if you plan to continue studying for a few more weeks. My only concern might be that you're using two books by Conrad, and he's great, but it limits your diversity. I used two books by different authors so I wouldn't fall into the trap of only seeing one author's perspective. That said, I realize you're using Shon Harris' book as well, but it looks like you're not really reading more than the summaries from her.

Overall, again, I think you'll probably be fine, but I'd consider hitting some of the Harris chapters, especially ones that match up with your lowest practice test scores.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
    Joe
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Can you tell me how much did you score on test before feeling ready to take the CISSP please? I understand that this number is not very representative but can make people confident before facing the exam.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was scoring around 70-80% when I went to go take the test.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    JonnygJonnyg Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should be able to score 80% or higher consistently on practice tests. The best way to tell if you are ready for the exam is to be able to speak to as many of the topics from each domain as possible. If you can easily and accurately talk about 90% or higher of the major topics, I'd say you are likely close to ready. This is how I measured my readiness before taking the exam. I strived for as close to 100% as humanly possible, which ended up being severe overkill, but ensured the pass. It is better to be over prepared than not prepared enough. If you take that mentality, instead of just looking at raw practice test scores, I think you would be much better off and much more confident. Also, flash cards are a great way to help prepare and be able to talk to different subjects.
    Working on: Nothing, finally.
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    To be specific, if you had been getting the question correct without remembering the question/answer pair, then you are in a good shape to challenge the exam. However, if you had been getting correct because you do too many times and remember the answer to the question, then it would be best to reassure yourself with a separate test engine. If you are getting this scores the first time, then you should be good enough to go for the exam.
  • Options
    CISSP passed today !!!!!

I will give you the long version tomorrow :) too tired right now

Thanks guys!!!

Laurent
  • Options
    LostpacketLostpacket Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Nice work.

Looking forward to hearing about it.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job! Eager to hear your experience on taking the test!
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay...

I felt the CISSP exam pretty easy. I took it in 2h30.

I don't know if it is the same for everyone butas for me the 5 first questions are the most difficult of the series. I think ISC² do it intentionnaly to increase the stress during the exam :)

Moreover, I think that Eric Conrad's book + cccure is enought to pass the exam. To success in this exam, you have to understand all of the concepts describe in this book. Cccure allow you to determine your weaks areas and focus on it.

Most of the questions are conceptuals and I use this trick to answer this kind of questions. First privilege the human safety, then business after that CIA and finally choose the answer according to your thought :p

I just passed the GISP yesterday and think that is a very good preparation for the CISSP. I get 80.4% without materials.

Now, I will go through GPEN then OSCP.
  • Options
    TheProfezzorTheProfezzor Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Any suggestions for people, who are terrified of the exam and are about to go into battle?
    OSCP: Loading . . .
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm glad to see that both the Conrad book and CCCure were good resources.