Options

Confused

Rave18Rave18 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm trying to create a road map for my certifications [I'm interested in the Network side]. From what I've read here the Comptia trio is the base, followed by Microsoft and or Cisco certs. Am aiming for a CCIE in R&S i.e., A+ > N+ > S+ > CCNA > CCNP > CCIE. Is it ok ?

Which other certs should I look into ? What is Virtualization ? Are there any other things I should know about ?

Am asking cause am a novice, confused by the variety of certs I see on other people's profile icon_smile.gif and would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself. Start out with the A+, find a job (if you don't already have one) and go from there. Do some reading on different topics and see what you like. It would be a waste of time to get halfway through your CCNP and realize systems is the way you want to go instead of networking.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Rave18Rave18 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank You for your reply. Am currently studying for A+ and am enrolled in a private coaching class for a course. Will follow your advice :)
  • Options
    CJWelch89CJWelch89 Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like networker said, you're getting ahead of yourself.

Aiming for this would be sufficient until you get your first job in IT whereupon you can decide what you want to specialize in.

A+>Network+>Security+>First IT job>Specialize...
  • Options
    egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It looks like you're looking into the future. It's not too bad to plan long-term except that you should add job experience as part of the path. At some of the stages you have to determine what you like. Certain specializations have unique characteristics. See my add below which is just an example.
    A+ (get job as IT tech) then ... > N+ > S+ > CCNA > CCNP > CCIE

Keep in mind that depending on what you find most fun, combined with your technical capacity and how much $$ you want to make kind of determines what final certification path you would go through. the CCNA > CCIE track is heavily network hardware based. It's key that you discover what you like after the A+ stage where you find work... good hunting.
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1 step at a time... there's no way you can aspire to for a CCIE until you've done some CCNP level stuff, this stuff will really let you know what you're made of in terms of motivation.
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently