Options

Would my position count as experience for ISC2 certs?

SolitonSoliton Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I am looking to take the CISSP exam in order to achieve the SSCP credential for now, but after looking at the experience requirements, I can't quite decide if my position would be considered.

I currently work for IBM as part of their Cloud & Smarter Infrastructure division. I am an engineer working primarily on MDM (Mobile Device Management). I work on anything from an initial demonstration & Q&A up to deployment, policy & security considerations, etc.

I was thinking it would count as experience because of the fact that it IS security related, that's the primary point of MDM after all. Can anyone weigh in on this? I was going to call ISC2, but figured I'd ask here first.

Thanks!
~ A+ - Passed ~ CCNA - In Progress
Your Recommended daily dose of security and privacy -> My Blog

Comments

• Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe this should count as relevant experience. I've never had a security specific position but I do security related tasks on a regular basis and it did count towards getting my SSCP.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    You should definitely ask the (ISC)2 and report back here what they say. Only their judgement counts in the matter of qualifications for full certification.

Also, I hear the (ISC)2 is working on a Cloud security certification, so keep your eyes open for that.
  • Options
    DirkoDirko Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Soliton wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am looking to take the CISSP exam in order to achieve the SSCP credential for now, but after looking at the experience requirements, I can't quite decide if my position would be considered.

Do you mean that if you pass the CISSP exam, you are being awarded the SSCP credential without the need fr an audit? A bit confused here...
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, you do not get the SSCP for getting the CISSP.

Not sure what the OP meant by that.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    JonnygJonnyg Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dirko wrote: »
    Do you mean that if you pass the CISSP exam, you are being awarded the SSCP credential without the need fr an audit? A bit confused here...

I am thinking he meant the Associate of (ISC)2, not the SSCP.
    Working on: Nothing, finally.
  • Options
    Dirko wrote: »

I misread the website, I know you can take the CISSP exam to get ISC2 associate until you have experience. I was thinking it extended to SSCP as well, but just disregard that guys.

The eventual goal is definitely CISSP though.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    You should definitely ask the (ISC)2 and report back here what they say. Only their judgement counts in the matter of qualifications for full certification.

Also, I hear the (ISC)2 is working on a Cloud security certification, so keep your eyes open for that.

I'm going to give them a call today, and I'll report back what I find. Thanks for heads up on Cloud Security, that'll be useful.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Soliton wrote: »
    I know you can take the CISSP exam to get ISC2 associate until you have experience.
    All candidates who passes the CISSP exam are "(ISC)2 Associate for CISSP" until they complete the endorsement process for full CISSP certification. The same is true for candidates who pass the SSCP exam ("(ISC)2 Associate for SSCP") until they are fully SSCP-certified.

If you are interested in Cloud certs, search these forums for "Cloud Essentials" and "CCSK". Cloud certs are now the hottest ticket in IT certification.