Options

Book recommendation for this exam

snooper47374snooper47374 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, is this book good?

MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-270): Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Second Edition (Hardcover)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735621527/qid=1133365908/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0392172-7775937?n=507846&s=books&v=glance
Going to slowly study for 290. Baby due in May.

Comments

• Options
    spudnikspudnik Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes the MSPress books are very good, I usually buy a couple, MSPress and another either Exam Cram or Syngress (depends on info and price, and there recomendation on amazon)
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    I just purchased the book a couple weeks ago. I am taking the test next Friday, so we'll see then how good it is, but I am pleased with the book. Very easy to understand, yet very detailed. There is a whole chapter that touches on Active Directory, and the book includes the SP2 stuff. The first edition of this book was good when it came out, but it is just too dated now. There are some cool multimedia presentations, but I wish they would have covered more. The book is solid and I would say if you do all the labs and learn all the details this book is all you need.
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chuchuchu wrote:
    I just purchased the book a couple weeks ago. I am taking the test next Friday, so we'll see then how good it is, but I am pleased with the book. Very easy to understand, yet very detailed. There is a whole chapter that touches on Active Directory, and the book includes the SP2 stuff. The first edition of this book was good when it came out, but it is just too dated now. There are some cool multimedia presentations, but I wish they would have covered more. The book is solid and I would say if you do all the labs and learn all the details this book is all you need.
    I would not place all my faith in the Microsoft books. There are several subjects that the Microsoft books do not cover. I would pay the extra cost to get another book rather than having to pay to retake the test. ExamCram and Microsoft books are an excellent choice. The ExamCram also offers a Cram Sheet of hot topics that will be on the exam.
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    I'll have to disagree, the 2nd Press 70-270 covers everything. If a person absorbs, retains, and understands all details and concepts in that book, they will pass the test. What specific details do you think the 2nd edition book lacks??

this is strong statement that I will backup when I take the test. keep you posted icon_lol.gif
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Although it's usually wise to use multiple study resources for any exam, I agree that if you use the MS Training kit, and use the features and technologies on actual PC running XP, you should have plenty of info to pass the exam.
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    I agree too icon_lol.gif , ms press with hands on practice should be enough... icon_wink.gif I have only used ms press for my exams
  • Options
    oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    D-boy, was the MS Press book your primary study resource for 70-210?

The reason I ask is that I'm currently working in a rather unique situation in which Win2K is installed on virtually all of our CPUs, and will be for at least the next 6 months. Therefore, I'm thinking of pursuing 70-210 before 70-270.
  • Options
    snooper47374snooper47374 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info guys.

Sounds like a green light to get the book then. I guess I shouldn't care as my job is paying for the book. Unfortunally I have to pay for the exam.. :D

Btw for the post above this one - I've worked with a Windows 2k environment for 4 years. I don't really think it's worth studying for though.. as I would imagine we'll be going XP before long. Might as well get a leg up on knowing everything about XP before we deploy it. Besides, if you learn XP, you should know most of Win2k too as they both are similar OSes afterall (win2k just more simple). Plus.. 210 I'd imagine will be discontinued in the next few years (only guessing).
    Going to slowly study for 290. Baby due in May.