Options

Phone interview

QuantumKnightQuantumKnight Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Good evening all,

I will be having a phone interview with a service provider for a Jr. Network Administrator. I am comfortable and confident with interviews that are face to face. Never had a phone interview before. If hired this will be a great foot in the door to enter the networking world so I am excited for the opportunity, but I'm not sure if this interview will be real technical or just an overview of my resume. Has anyone ever had a phone interview for network administrator position before? Any tips or advice would be great appreciated. Thank you and have a great day.

Comments

• Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Make sure you can hear and be heard comfortably over the phone. Dress down and relax since it's over the phone. If you're comfortable with in person interviews, you should be fine.

In my experiences, over the phone interviews have always been a bit more technical than in person. Some of them appeared to be reading scenarios off a script and another gave me a link to take a test while I had them on the line!

Be confident, you got it.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    Thank you for the response jvlopez. Are the technical questions more troubleshooting or basic knowledge for a Jr Network Administrator?
  • Options
    Well I interviewed for an analyst position, but they did ask baseline knowledge type questions (linux/MS commands, ports, subnetting, etc) as well as questions related to the position as well as scenarios.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    Thank you for the insight. The interview went well. They just made an offer to me not too long ago.
  • Options
    Good job! Was the interview what you had in mind? We'd love to hear how it was!
  • Options
    Thank you. While I'm excited they made the offer, I didn't get asked any technical question which I was ready for. What he told me I would be doing was a little different than what was in the job description. I'm okay with that as long as I get networking experience. I will be doing a lot of work outside replacing network equipment around cell towers. I'm hoping this is a good direction for me to get more networking experience, does that sound like something someone who gets started into networking would do?
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do you know who it is with? If it is with the team chances are it could be technical in nature but HR will never be technical because they don't understand.

----
    Just saw you had the interview but for anybody else who reads this should consider that question. It is all about the audience.