Options

Well 2nd time was not the charm to pass the New CISSP test

BizBoomBizBoom Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
hmm first time I was not a happy camper for I Felt I was very prepared. Turns out that about 90% of the questions I answered did not seem to come from any of the books and Boot Camp course I took. Very frustrating to take a test and look a the first 50 questions and draw blanks ha ha

2nd time was better however I have mentally remembered about 20 questions that I have never seen in book.

Not sure this is worth it in the long run.........

Comments

• Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What was your study plan?

What materials did you use?

Stay with it, study hard and you will pass.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    BizBoomBizBoom Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Shon Harris Book
    IC2 CBK book
    Sybex Book
    Took the IC2 Boot Camp Class which was pretty useless
    Flash Cards from a CISSP app
    read about 1200 questions. OUt of those I saw maybe 3 on the test that came close
    I have heard this new test is not as easy as the ones before, for my coworkers all
    have passed it a few years back. So far 3 co-workers have take this test ad all have failed.
    They are done with it but I am going to give it one more shot before I call it quits.
    lol
  • Options
    kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Took me three tries. Read my posts and then ask yourself if it's worth it or not. Be sure to read my one year anniversary.
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What do you feel is proper preparation time for this after your second experience? How many months of studying, how many hours a day, and various resources would you use now if you try a 3rd time? I feel that boot camps should be used as a review when you think you are about ready to tackle a certification exam rather than one of your primary sources of information.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The two most common mistake I had seen in failing test would be
    i) You are not retaining information by the book
    ii) You are not using the practice question banks correctly; over relying on the question/answer pair instead of focusing on the getting the question correct via attempt on the first try.

1) To properly retain information from a book, go through the books with a highlighter and pens help.
    1a) Use a pen to categorize each section as Read, Understand or Memorize.
    1b) Take the first letter of every point and try to string up into a phrase or word you would remember
    1c) Aim to highlight the book in such a way that you can revise the book in 1 hour just by reading the highlighted point. Aim for keywords and skip common statement 'bridging words'; examples like "the" "and" "or" "they" "an".
    1d) Use two books, one would be a verbose version (shon harris) and the other can be a precise guide (Eric Conrad)

2a) For practice question, take a sample of 25 question daily from each chapter and challenge them. Don't take 250 question as a whole
    2b) Rotate this throughout the 10 chapters weekly, this is to ensure that you would never remember the question/answer key pair
    2c) Take a 250 question test after going through 10 chapters
    2d) Eventually drill down to focus on the 5 weakest chapter and 2 weakest chapter as the exam draw nears

Over relying on the question/answer pair, hopefully to see the same question in the exam would definitely result in a failure. Every question expected should be treated as a new question that you had not seen, and its about applying the knowledge to the exam to pass it.

And apparently, someone else on this forum who recently took the exam feels how easy its the exam given he had only encounter 20+ scenario base question on this new test format. During mine exam, I had really much more scenario base question.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your employer is paying for the test then go ahead and give it another try. if its out of your pocket, you might want to consider putting it to better use.