Options

Got approached for a job today...

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
For the first time! I was contacted out of the blue for a job similar to what I have now, but a little further away and with only a 5% bump in pay. I will be declining the offer, but I felt a little validation after the offer was made.

I also had a mini promotion this month, which consisted of a change of title & duties with the same pay as before (was "refresh tech" now I am "Incident tech"). The real benefit to me is that incident is 100% problem solving and troubleshooting where as refresh was pretty much swapping PC's out with very little troubleshooting involved. And to top that off, I was picked over 3 other people that hired in before me.

This is a somewhat meaningless post for a tech site like this, but I think it helps anyone that is struggling to break into IT to see some people doing it successfully. Last September I was in B2B warehousing....fast forward a few months and I have landed in IT with feet firmly planted!

Comments

• Options
    unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice! That's gotta feel nice. Were you referred by someone for the position or was this from a LinkedIn account or a company that you had previously applied for or what?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! What do you think the reason is that you picked over 3 other people? What sort of professional achievements have you completed since you started your position with that company?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Looks like things are going okay. :D
  • Options
    unfbilly11 wrote: »
    Nice! That's gotta feel nice. Were you referred by someone for the position or was this from a LinkedIn account or a company that you had previously applied for or what?

I am not certain, it was probably from Monster or the like because they contacted via my cell which is listed on my resume which is posted on a few of those sites. I have applied to a few places in the area, but not this place. Maybe someone passed my resume along? Who knows.

@iBrokeIT: I was told I was picked over the other three for a number of reasons: My new co-workers liked my personality more, so they suggested my name to our boss; two of the three just lacked basic skills (punctuality, courtesy, etc); I also picked up on how things work here quickly (the ticketing software, the layout of the building, etc).

Really it wasn't anything that I did well to get here, at this level there are a few people who I work with that don't really want to be in IT. So when it came time for the move I guess they just picked the guy who was most eager to do his job.
  • Options
    A little update to this thread.

I got a call last week about a job I don't remember applying too, but they wanted to interview me today (my day off) so I thought sure I am pretty happy where I am but what the heck its my day off and I could always use some interview experience....there's a nice deli around the corner, a bakery my wife likes to get stuff from so why not?

I go there, the owner/interviewer and I hit it off immediately (we had a mutual friend that we didn't know existed until I got there). We start off by talking about our friend and it morphed into my experiences in my last career and this new one in IT. We went back and forth for 40 minutes talking like it wasn't an interview, but hitting on job duties/functions/etc...

I went home, discussed a few details with my wife. Called him back, gave him my salary requirements which he accepted then he offered me the job!

100% paid medical, company phone, car, iPad. My hourly wage is the same that I get now, but goes up in 15% increments every 3 months for the first year.

I will be working on everything in this new position; desktop, server, VM/VDI and networking.

I put my two weeks in today, my boss was happy for me and my coworkers were excited that I wont be competing for promotions with them.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Glad to see you moving on up! Isn't it exciting to throw your resume out there and get all these random, surprising bites and call backs? Nothing like a good interview and job offer that wasn't expected the day before ;)
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats...wise choice on deciding to go to that interview.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sweet! Just goes to show that it's hard to know when the next great opportunity is right around the corner!

Joe
  • Options
    certoicertoi Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great read! and congrats on your new job, I wish you all the best on your endeavors.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like a great opportunity, congrats!
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    Antonio72Antonio72 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's awesome Chris, Congrats!
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's got to be an awesome feeling.Congrats on the new job
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. A lot of my "luck" so far has been the result of ideas spawned here on TE. Without TE I would be up a creek! So its a sincere thank you to all the members who have helped me out since I have joined!
  • Options
    sasnimrodsasnimrod Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and all the best for your new job.

Apart from the benefits in pay, company car, etc - I think that the opportunity to work in various technologies sounds awesome. Good luck :)
  • Options
    TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new job!!!
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats Chris that is awesome, well done!