Sticky situation...should I stay or should I go?

jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
Need help/your opinions!

I'm working for Company A as a subcontractor for Company B. Company B originally wanted to bring me on at my requested salary, however, when I came on as a subcontractor still employed by Company A, I kept my original salary from my previous contract ($10k less).

I like the people and my PM at Company A, however, I feel that I am underpaid and could do better at Company B and I have gotten their word that they would like me on. I have delayed moving over because I do not want to create a conflict of interest and strain the relationship between A and B. Recently, the position they said they could bring me on under has been filled and is no longer available.

At my annual, I received a raise of $1200 from Company A.

However, Company A recently informed me that they have been overpaying me for the past year so my overall salary is going down $3000 a year (bye bye raise). I feel like I am missing out on $13000 overall...

I have a meeting with a friend of mine who happens to work for Company B but has no input, idea, scheme, etc with my current position (I actually met him as he is a webmaster at another forum I go to). He's on a different project entirely and wants to bring me on. At first I was hesitant, but after finding out my new, reduced salary, I'm a little more eager than before to test the waters.

Should I stick it out with what I have now or try and find something different?

My CISSP should be approved here shortly, I have the certs to the left also, a clearance, and 6 years DoD IT experience. My salary right now after taxes and the new deduction I found out today after a year is around $40k...

My idea at the moment is to maybe quit Company A for a couple of weeks, lay low, and then see about coming back with Company B once the heat has died down...

Thanks...
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What does your Contract with A stay about negotiating with Company B?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Heck if I know.

I doubt there is anything on the books...
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
    Are you a 1099 contractor or a W2 employee with Company A?

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    W2 employee.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    The main thing that you need to avoid is conflict of interest. Since it appears (on the surface) that you're avoiding that, you should be OK.

Once your CISSP clears, you'll have a lot more opportunities that would offer a much bigger raise than 13K.

Of course, if I was in your situation, I'd be polishing my resume and reaching out to my contacts, haha.

As it is now, you're underpaid for your experience level, unless I'm misreading something between your certs and six years of DoD IT experience.

So, just to be clear, I'd advise on holding off until you got the CISSP, unless you're really hungry and need to eat or something. :D (Otherwise, once the CISSP cleared and you got offers that were greater than double your current salary, you'd be back here creating another thread.)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    Then as long as you didn't sign a non-compete agreement or something similar you should legally be in the clear.

Just as it is "just a business decision" that Company A is cutting your wage it could also be "just a business decision" for you to jump over to Company B. Ethically you may not want to jump over to Company B unless you are willing to risk burning the bridge and referral from Company A. You may also want to discus that potential issue with Company B.

Thanks for the inputs so far. I haven't signed anything except my original offer letter which never mentioned a non compete or anything like that.

I actually found and successfully applied for the original position with B, however, the decision to bring me on as a sub and establishing that working relationship between A and B was beyond me. It kind of upsets me because if I hadn't applied, maybe they wouldn't have even established a working relationship and I'd be happy.

I'm worried about burning the bridge with A and they also have another employee working with me and vice versa...would hate to have people pulled off contract due to me.

I'll be sure to let you all know how my lunch tomorrow goes.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do not discount the fact that there could be a non compete agreement on hiring between the companies. Seeing as how everybody except HR seems to not know about these things...I would check before you jump.
    Wow, what a Friday.

Met with Company B new position for lunch. Went well and the job seemed like a great opportunity (the guy's wife is from Japan too!). Unfortunately, I might not be able to take the job due to some administrative issues.

After work, My boss from Company B says he has my back and will work hard to try and move me from Company A to Company B in my current position.

Not even 3 minutes later, I get called into Company A's corporate office for a meeting. Immediately I feel like they're on to me. I go in and the owner of the company meets with me personally and let's me know he is proud of my work and efforts and wants to give me a $20k raise. We agree and have a nice conversation.

Long story short, I'm staying with Company A to continue doing the work I like for Company B.

What a day, I'm blessed.
    Wow, going from a $3k paycut to a $20K raise! Congrats!

• wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thats great news, although it makes me wonder about Company A or at least there management. I don't know the particular situation but I have heard of sub contractors taking a larger portion of money for "administrative cost" then what the contract called for. It bothers me some, that a company would tell you that your getting a 3k decrease in salary then when they find out the company they partnered with is willing to offer you more they beat it. Seems a bit dishonest on Company A's part. Just my 2 cents.
  • subnettingpracticesubnettingpractice Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's awesome and I hope it works out. You should post an update to this thread in like 6 months to see how you feel about sticking with company A.

The only reason I say that is I have read that accepting counter offers often ends up not being the best choice. Sometimes a company will make a counter-offer only to keep the person on until they find a replacement, etc. I guess this technically wasnt even a counter offer, but I am curious to see how it goes because I have never been in such a position.
    Thanks! Wouldn't consider it a counter offer...Company A was never aware that I was in talks with Company B. They came to the decision to pay me more for other reasons.
  • NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    Thanks! Wouldn't consider it a counter offer...Company A was never aware that I was in talks with Company B. They came to the decision to pay me more for other reasons.

That you know of … Never doubt that your sudden demand and high regard could have been started by a quick phone call from Company B to A concerning verification of a non-compete and such.