Options

CCNA Lab Kit Question

bbugyi200bbugyi200 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I just wanted to get your 2 cents on the CCNA lab I should get.

I'm considering this setup: cisco ccna router switch lab

I would opt for the memory upgrade on the 1841's so I can support IOS 15. I would also upgrade all the switches so I would have one 2960, one 3550, and one 3560. I will definitely be getting the 2511 or 2509 as my access server, but might not get it with this kit, as it seems a bit overpriced.

Honestly, I'm expecting a lot of negative feedback from you guys on going with a kit, and a lot of suggestions to go the eBay route instead. Other then the 2511, which I found to be close to 100$ cheaper on eBay, I haven't managed to find the other equipment that much cheaper. If you think I should go with eBay, any chance of providing a link to a better deal on the individual equipment???

Also, any thoughts on the equipment selection? Is this overkill? Is it at all beneficial to have IOS 15 on all the 1841's or would 1 or 2 be fine. Do I even need 3 routers and 3 switches?

Any tips you guys have on any of this would be greatly appreciated. It should also be noted that I will more then likely be going for my CCNP after I receive my CCNA, so I am willing to go a bit overboard on this lab. I've got no problem investing in this kit, but I just want to make sure I'm not making any poor decisions on this.

Thanks for reading. :D

Comments

• Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally, I think it's great you're trying out a lab kit. However I do agree that it'd be cheaper to get it off of eBay. Your choice man. If you got the money, go for it.As for equipment, if you have money to throw around, a couple of 2610/2611s and an 1841 will suffice. Then for CCNP purposes (You can use them for CCNA purposes), get 2 L2 switches and two L3. The 3550 and 3560 will suffice for L3, but if you have the extra money, I'd go with forgetting the 3550 and go with another 3560 or 3750 (Or 2960 if you really have some money). For L2 switches just get a couple 2950s.

Everyone else will mostly tell you packet tracker or GNS3. I'll say if you have the money, go for it. You won't regret buying equipment
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    One thing I would highly suggest, aside from upgrading two of the switches to at least 3550 as Wolfman said, is getting some type of access server, ideally a Cisco 2509 (or at least that was ideal for me). Replacing the console cable every few minutes gets old fast, and telnets across every machine in your environment can work, but can be a pain if you don't set them up in the right order to be able to jump back to a certain device on time to see it's reaction to a command.

So yes, layer 3 switches, and an access server, possibly a cheap 2600 series Frame Relay switch off ebay icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I like you found the 2511 to be a bit expensive so opted to go with a multi port serial card for my PC, with the card it added 8 com ports and with the built in com port it gives me the ability access 9 devices to manage them, I have also added a couple of USB to serial port adapters, so currently I can access a dozen different switches and routers to do my labs, this works great if you are on a desktop, I have less than $50 bucks into this set up, if I need to expand, I just plug my USB/Serial adapters into a USB hub which works great, like I said, I looked around at options and the Cisco access servers where just a bit more than I wanted to pay. The rest of my lab is 2 2503, 3 1841 and 3 2950 switches, with one of the being a G model, I will add a couple of L 3 switches as I progress, I also have a Dell Poweredge 1850 and a 1950, both running windows server 2008r2 as well as a Linux server.

Good luck on your studies, by the way I purchased all of my stuff off ebay and my total investment is less than any of the pre-packaged kits I looked at for the specific route I am following.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get 2 3550s, you won't regret it
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What I find with lab kits is they are great for getting set up quick. Just realize that you often get slightly lower quality gear at a slightly higher price.

On ebay you have to do a lot more work yourself. However you can buy pieces as you need them and learn as you go. If you have the money go for it. I am a firm believer that using the real equipment has helped reinforce my learning. Especially when I am trying to troubleshoot what I did wrong.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    DeadeyeDeadeye Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been researching kits for a couple of months now, because I did not want to go the ebay route. I have been looking at CertificationKits, CCNAKits, and Cisco Land mainly. I found all their prices to be high, until I found CiscoCampus on ebay and then went to their website. I am getting 3x2811's, 2xC2950s, and a 3550; plus the rack and mounting supplies which is extra most places and adds up. So, I will admit I probably overpaid compared to ebay, but I am getting it all at once, plus everything else I need to get started right away and I talked them into free shipping. This is a good priced kit in my opinion so I went with it: Cisco Complete CCNA & CCNP Certified Network Professional Home Lab Kit 15.1IOS
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that I also looked at Netcertlabs which cleans and re-paints the routers and switches before sending them, but their prices are a little higher also. For CCNA the 2950C's should be enough, but I bet they'd work with you if you wanted 2960's. I got fed up with Craigslist because no one could ever tell me what IOS was on the devices they were selling. I think the kit will hopefully be more than enough. I am using the Ciscopress book, and my work purchased me a CBT Nuggets subscription. I am supposed to get my kit in the mail tomorrow, I will post and tell you how it looks and works.
  • Options
    I recieced the kit today. Everything looks okay and works. Can someone tell me if the IOS versions I got will work for CCNA or if I got hosed on that?
    the 2811's are 15.1(1)T
    the 3550 is 12.2(50)SE1
    the 2950C's are 12.1(22)EA14
  • Options
    Same versions I have on my gear, and it seems to be working out just fine, I have access to all of the latest versions if you decide you need to go further, but you are pretty much there now for what you are trying to attain.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    VoyagerVoyager Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Addition to this question: I have some older hardware - Cisco 4400 wireless lan controller and a catalyst 3560 PoE - 48 for starters. Will these two be useful for good lab practice? (i will eventually buy an actual lab set up)
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Voyager wrote: »
    Addition to this question: I have some older hardware - Cisco 4400 wireless lan controller and a catalyst 3560 PoE - 48 for starters. Will these two be useful for good lab practice? (i will eventually buy an actual lab set up)

3560 is great for CCNA R&S practice but not the 4400 (it might be useful for CCNA wireless ??)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    For the exams its ios 15
    Note older ios versions have most of the features, some have all the features.
    The numbering system isn't straightforward.

Guide to Cisco IOS Release Naming - Cisco
    How to Choose a Cisco IOS Software Release - Cisco
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le21/le34/downloads/689/academy/2005/BRK-101.pdf

learn how to check what ios versions are available yourself icon_wink.gif

cisco feature navigator to check the version/features/required ram Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems

If you want an image with ssh, you need to look for an image with k9 in the name.

Don't forget to grab a copy of tftpd64 so you can easily re image(tftp serves the image to the routers)
    can even make them reimage on boot if you wanted to (can take a while)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    I am running 15.xx on all of my 1841' they are running off the compact flash cards that are installed in the machines.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Kits are great plain and simple. The problem at the pre-CCNA level, you do not know what you do not know. Piecing together a lab is great and all but there are too many things that can go wrong and delay studying...especially if you do not mind spending a little extra.

I think when I got my 2511 it was around $179, so at minimum that site has it about $100 overpriced but again buying for convenience. I would not get the study material as that is the old exam, and not a bad idea on the multiple switches. Layer 3 switches (3550 and 3560) won't make much difference for CCNA but they will later. I might even opt on that kit for at least 3550's for all switches and then just order a 2950/2960 to have.

Last, I would recommend the 3 year warranty because that equipment can last you a while and be appropriate models..avoid having to go buy new equipment.
  • Options
    junmacarambonjunmacarambon Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i'm also preparing for CCNA.

and planning to get my own home lab that i can also use for further studies to CCNP and CCIE.

im reading many forums/blogs... is IOS 15.x really needed?
  • Options
    RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    bbugyi200 wrote: »

I would opt for the memory upgrade on the 1841's so I can support IOS 15. I would also upgrade all the switches so I would have one 2960, one 3550, and one 3560. I will definitely be getting the 2511 or 2509 as my access server, but might not get it with this kit, as it seems a bit overpriced.

Honestly, I'm expecting a lot of negative feedback from you guys on going with a kit, and a lot of suggestions to go the eBay route instead. Other then the 2511, which I found to be close to 100$ cheaper on eBay, I haven't managed to find the other equipment that much cheaper. If you think I should go with eBay, any chance of providing a link to a better deal on the individual equipment???

I just priced out the upgrades you want on that kit and the grand total comes out to $1,261.47, you can do much much better buying your gear through ebay. I recommend starting out ordering a cheap 2950 because initially all you're going to be doing is practicing basic commands on a single piece of equipment. After that just keep an eye on the ebay listings and bid on things while they're cheap and don't get suckered into any bidding wars. It takes a bit longer but you're going to pay significantly less.

I put together my lab with:
    2x 2950 switches
    1x 3550 switch
    1x 1841 router
    1x 2811 router
    1x 2610xm router

All for little over $200