Alternative jobs to Helpdesk

CJWelch89CJWelch89 Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

So I've been studying for the last few months and have accrued a few entry-level certs, I'm looking to break into IT but even before I've started, I'm already dreading Helldesk. I keep hearing how a dead-end job it is and how it burns people out. There must be another way to get my foot in the door. I want to do something more physical, away from 9-5 constantly talking into a phone.

Is helpdesk the only way into IT for someone with no experience and only basic certifications to offer? What alternative entry-level roles are there?

Comments

• ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Without any demonstrable experience it really is the first stepping stone unless you know someone, and it may burn you out after so long (I know this well), but that will make it all the better when you finally break away into the field you are aiming for.
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CJWelch89 wrote: »
    Hi all,

So I've been studying for the last few months and have accrued a few entry-level certs, I'm looking to break into IT but even before I've started, I'm already dreading Helldesk. I keep hearing how a dead-end job it is and how it burns people out. There must be another way to get my foot in the door. I want to do something more physical, away from 9-5 constantly talking into a phone.

Is helpdesk the only way into IT for someone with no experience and only basic certifications to offer? What alternative entry-level roles are there?

I don't understand why people want to skip the help desk step; I learned a ton at the help desk...

-scott
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I started awhile back so I'm not sure how easy this is now with MSPs and such, but look for small companies. I started in a company with 7 small locations, just me, so I got to do everything, phone systems, servers, user support, networks, etc.
  • OrcristOrcrist Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's a dead end job if you make it one. Earn more certs while you're at the helpdesk and see if you can move up at your current company. If that isn't possible, see if you can jump ship to another company now that you have more experience under your belt.

Never settle.
  • puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    The Helpdesk is not glamorous, or flashy, or anything that I would brag about, however, it showed me many things. The helpdesk was my first IT position and I learned AD, email, AS400, Mainframe, Linux, and others. I will say that the most valuable lesson I learned from the helpdesk was how to talk to people. Soft skills are necessary for almost any job, and by skipping the Helpdesk (or Desktop support or any other user-facing role) you are essentially missing out on improving your soft skills, which will almost definitely come to haunt you in the long run.
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd be worrying about just taking what you can get at first. If it does happen to be a dead end job, then focus on getting out of it.
  • DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Orcrist wrote: »
    It's a dead end job if you make it one. Earn more certs while you're at the helpdesk and see if you can move up at your current company. If that isn't possible, see if you can jump ship to another company now that you have more experience under your belt.

Never settle.
    I was under the impression that constant job hopping isn't good from the viewpoint of prospective employers...or is it different in IT?
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    In my experience job hopping is normal in the beginning of most peoples IT career, as contract companies have damn near a monopoly over entry level positions, so to say you've been working contract jobs that last 3-6 months long for a year or so shouldn't raise any red flags - However I would imagine if your listing 5-6+ contract jobs and none of them wanted to hire you permanently that probably won't reflect well for you.
  • codedwarcodedwar Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have seen people get entry level jobs doing cable termination and move into networking or other more specialized jobs.
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started at help desk and within 6 months gained multiple certifications & was bored out of my mind.

So I went to a NOC that promoted me to a Jr engineer, then engineer, then lead in the span of 1.5 years. That went well, doubled my pay and got my foot in the door straight into Operations and Engineering.
    :twisted:
  • TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    There are plenty of companies that offer entry level work and internship type positions. They are however highly competitive. You can find them. Just look.