Options

Job advice needed

JeshJesh Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm attempting to change careers and break into the IT field at the age of 29. After obtaining a few certs (currently working on my CCNA) i've been trying to get that first "foot in the door" job for a few months with no success. My perfect scenario would be to start out in a NOC but I know everyone says you have to do your time in help desk, or desktop support.

One of the jobs I recently applied for was a "POS Field Tech" job with Compucom, and after a few phone interviews and one face-to-face it looks like i'm about to be offered the job with them. This job requires local travel using my own vehicle and mileage reimbursement which i'm leery about because I don't want to stack a ton of miles on my own car.. but at this point i'm pretty desperate to get out of my current job and anything is starting to look good. This job is also a pay cut @ 15.50/hr, but so would any help desk or desktop support job be and I view it as "have to move down now to move up later".

My question here is... how is this field tech job going to be viewed for experience on my resume? Comparable to help desk experience or no? If I put in a year at this job and put up with the pay and the miles on my vehicle is it going to be worth it when I have my CCNA and i'm trying to move onward and up..? Or will I just be stuck again looking to move on to help desk jobs only?

Any insight I would be grafetul for because i'm not sure if I should accept right this or not, all I want is to get into this field.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd skip the POS tech thing. I could see if you needed money and a job, but it's not going to be very applicable to your standard IT position.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    IS3IS3 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm pretty sure i found that same job opening on Craigslist! i was thinking about applying there but only as a part time job. If you want a corporate job then start with Help Desk. If you want a computer repair career then yeah field service would be the way to go.
    :study:
  • Options
    JeshJesh Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IS3 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure i found that same job opening on Craigslist!
    Might be although I doubt it. I didn't see it on CL I think I applied for this one through Career Builder.. the position is in south Alabama.
    If you want a computer repair career then yeah field service would be the way to go.
    I am definitely not looking for a PC repair career, just trying to build experience.
    I'd skip the POS tech thing. I could see if you needed money and a job, but it's not going to be very applicable to your standard IT position.
    Thank you, this is what I needed to know.

What you both said is what I was feeling really it's just after waiting and waiting for an opportunity and getting some calls but nothing coming through.. i'm looking for anything. I did get a callback today about a Jr. Sys Admin job so maybe that will pan out.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Check this sight frequently, Dell has many jobs in odd places through the US. You dont need to be in a "tech" center to work for them (I work for them, I am near Flint MI lol).

Information Technology jobs at Dell

Just narrow down to your area.

Also try to contact Apex recruiting and PFI recruiting. They place contractors to Dell/HP/others, all they require is an A+ and soft skills.

edit: Here is an example of an Apex add (they are all pretty much the same add, just small details changed as the location changes).

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/tch/4471272582.html

Thats a legit job, they will hire you if you can pass two phone interviews and answer some basic troubleshooting questions. The exact questions are in a post I made a few months ago, if you search for it I am sure it will come up.