Options

vCenter Operations Manager or another monitoring program?

tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have budget to buy a monitoring system and am leaning toward vCOPs. I like the output I get with it but want to know if there is a better one for the money. I sorta go on the philosophy "If the infrastructure vendor builds it, you should get some better support and integration than with a 3rd party". Is that safe in this instance?
I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com

Comments

• Options
    SimonD.SimonD. Member Posts: 111
    How about giving VMTurbo Operations Manager a look? You also have Veeam One Free Edition and even Solarwinds Virtualisation Manager.

We use vCOPS, amongst other things (loving that Enterprise Plus \ vCloud Suite Enterprise license) at work and it's great for monitoring but we actually use SCOM for the Windows based infrastructure and are looking at integrating with products such as TSDB\OpenView and Nagios but using an aggregator to consolidate all the data in to a single pane of glass.

There are so many different options out there that it can make things even more difficult but I seem to recall seeing a demo of VMTurbo in the past and being blown away by it.
    My Blog - http://www.everything-virtual.com
    vExpert 2012\2013\2014\2015
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you already have SCOM in your environment, the VEEAM MP for SCOM is pretty good.

I like Solarwinds VM Manager as well.

You can eval both for a limited time I believe.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...