Options

Should I contact my future boss?

jws86jws86 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I have accepted an offer for a Help Desk Support position. In my offer letter it restates what my responsibilities will be and then says if I need further clarification contact "said person" at "said number". This gentlemen will be my direct supervisor. He was in the interview that I had. Do you think it would be a good gesture to contact him and thank him for the opportunity to work with him and let him know that I am excited to get started and to learn blah blah? Or should I just leave him the hell alone? haha
Currently studying for CCNA R&S

Comments

• Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Eh, if you've already been extended the offer, I would forgo any further gratitude. You don't want to overwhelm your manager before you even start. You don't want to look THAT desperate.
  • Options
    Point taken, just thought I would ask. I was against doing it but have been toying with the idea. Thanks!
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Tell him thanks in person on Day 1. Get down to business and work hard on day 2-?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I concur. Wait till day 1 and then buy him coffee, dust his desk, clean his keyboard, get him lunch, wash his car. He'll get the message.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I concur. Wait till day 1 and then buy him coffee, dust his desk, clean his keyboard, get him lunch, wash his car. He'll get the message.

You can't be serious? This is my first professional IT job after coming from factory work for the past 8 years so I am out if the loop since I have never really been in it?
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Lol...cyberguy was kidding, I assume. I wouldn't call either unless you have some legit questions about your first day.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Nothing wrong with reaching out and touching base in my opinion. Especially if you actually have questions.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My thoughts: They've selected/chosen you, so they want you. There's nothing else you really need to do except turn up on Day 1 and give 100%.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    Yeah I don't really have any specific questions pertaining to the position. I just thought about touching base, letting him know I'm excited to get started and work with him and the rest of the team. I think I will just skip it though. I don't want to be annoying.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I would not reach out at all until Day 1. If you have real questions and concerns, I would contact HR. Don't want to make him think you are high maintenance.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    haha! absolutely kidding. As a car detailing freak, I would kill anyone who washes my car without using my 36 step patented process icon_smile.gif