Options

Cisco 2511 Async or RJ?

bbugyi200bbugyi200 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Everyone,

I'm currently in the process of selecting my equipment for my CCNA lab. I think I am going to get a 2511 for an AS so I can remote in to any router/switch I want without having to change my cable configuration.

I notice that the Cisco 2511 RJ models tend to be a little bit cheaper on eBay compared to the Cisco 2511 Async models. Is there any drawback to getting the 2511 RJ, over the Async?? Also, any good alternatives that I should consider for an Access Server?

Thanks for taking your time on this guys. I appreciate it. :D

Comments

• Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    If I was going to purchase one, I would go with the RJ model, that way you are working with Rj-45 cables, which we all have the ability to make, the AS models, you have to purchase dedicated specialty cables if they don't come with the unit. My self, I passed on purchasing one, and just opted to put a multi port serial card in my desktop, I was able to get an 8 port card for less than $50 and it works great, no problems telnetting, or consoling into my equipment. I also set up remote desktop on my machine so I can access everything, if I am not at the equipment location.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.