Options

Passed 5/14 my impressions

TripleDESTripleDES Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all, posting here to encourage others to continue their pursuit of passing the CISSP.icon_cheers.gif

Here are my impressions of taking the test and passing it on 5/14.

I have 20 years’ technology experience in the financial industry. I started back in the Novell 3.11 days so I have worked with most of the legacy technology that might have been on the test as we newer stuff like active –active clusters and been in info-sec the last 6 years.

I ordered the study books back in the fall of last year but keep putting off studying. I kept saying I’ll do it when it gets colder in Chicago. Then football started and then the playoffs then March madness and work was always disrupting weekend studying.

So I just booked a test date for 5/14 2 months out to force me to get serious. I also wanted to complete so I could enjoy spring and summer a bit. Funny that 2 days after passing the test we had snow flurries in the Chicago area. I really need to move!!!

Anyway here is what I did.

First of all I didn't want to learn just enough just to past the test. I've been in the IT business a while and welcomed the idea of showing what I know but also learning a few new things in great detail.

I fully condone making index cards as others have recommended. I made about 250. Don’t ask to have mine because I think you’ll benefit more from making your own, sorry.

I also documented any question I missed and spent some time learning about the subject material.

used the following books: AIO, Stuart and 11th hour the final week.

I never wanted to repeat any test. So I took tests on each domain as I competed reading through them.

tested using paid CCCure. Strangely I almost always averaged 76% on each individual test.

tried Transcenter for a few tests (included in CBT nuggets 7 day trial).

Did 2 Eric Conrad 250 question exams and averaged 80% each.

Completed the GISP practice test with no books or notes. Scored 77% one week before the exam.

At that point I felt I was ready.

Good luck!

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well-written, inspirational, with a touch of humor. I like it. Congratulations on the pass.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    LostpacketLostpacket Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Thanks for sharing the details on how you prepared.
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TripleDES wrote: »
    Completed the GISP practice test with no books or notes. Scored 77% one week before the exam.

At that point I felt I was ready.

I found this the most interesting. LionelTeo suggested something similar about taking the GISP after the CISSP while the content was still fresh. Without books or notes is quite impressive. Did you feel that the exams were quite similar? Oh, CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to TechExams!
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    yes I felt the CISP practice test was the most similar in tone.

a fair amount of what I thought were easy questions but then a few difficult 3-5 questions in a row. I think that's why people seem to think they are failing the test as they take it.
  • Options
    smotensmoten Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on achieving such a great milestone. I am also targeting in next month and need your guideline regarding practice test and details about GISP practice test.
  • Options
    62Vette62Vette Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Thanks for the write up.
  • Options
    salee_msalee_m Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats!!

please provide the link of GISP practise test

CCCure you mentioned 76% average each test, is it 250 each ??
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Doyen wrote: »
    I found this the most interesting. LionelTeo suggested something similar about taking the GISP after the CISSP while the content was still fresh. Without books or notes is quite impressive. Did you feel that the exams were quite similar? Oh, CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to TechExams!

I actually suggested GISP before the CISSP. GISP practice test is 129 USD for 250 question (Use once) But the actual exam would be 999+ USD. Depending on what you would want and your situation if your employer would reimburse you. Both the practice or actual exam would give plenty of experience to gear up for actual CISSP.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I agree with you in regards to paying and scheduling an exam to get focused on studying.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    I should have mentioned props to LionelTeo as he has been a strong proponent of taking the GISP practice test.

Test format is a little different than CISSP but I thought it was worth the $129. 250 questions in 5 hours not 6 and I don't believe the ability to skip questions. It tells you if you answered correctly as you go through each question. When I missed a question I quickly scribbled the subject material so I could review it after the practice test.

I didn't take any Studyscope practice test so I can't compare.
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I am glad that you find the GISP pratice test useful. Otherwise, it would be embarrassing to suggest for something that didn't work. I took the studiscope before, I would only suggest taking it if you intend to find ideas for celebrating halloween.
  • Options
    salee_msalee_m Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can somebody please provide the link of GISP practise test

CCCure you mentioned 76% average each test, is it 250 questions each ??
  • Options
    Go here to register and pay for the GISP practice test GIAC Exam Preparation Overview

They will email you a link to the test. Make sure you have the time to complete 5 hours. You can take up to one 15 minute break.

I took 75 question tests on each individual domains for cccure and scored very close to 76% on each. I never did take a cccure 250 Q test but did using other resources.
  • Options
    olga123olga123 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree ,GISP is the most close questions to cissp(I passed 2weeks ago)
    StudiScope is good too - I was scoring 67
    Gisp my scores were 74
    cccure were 85-90