Options

Stanley CC Class May - July 2014

lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
Instead of continuing the thread from the last semester here is the new one for those enrolled in the May to July semester.

DON'T FORGET:
In order to remain in the course and not be dropped, you must read the syllabus and complete the "Class Overview" assignment by Wednesday, May 21 and complete the Class Introduction posting which will be available after you complete the "Class Overview Quiz." These are required due to attendance reporting requirements by our state. Once these are completed other course content will open up for you to begin.

Comments

• Options
    A note for those running into issues using Chrome as your browser with the Adblock add-on (if you're not using Adblock then you're doin it wrong!), I had to add an exception for the NDB Lab to execute:

@|http://oll2. stanly. edu/

(Take out the spaces above, TE reformats it if a complete URL)
  • Options
    LauraMalaveLauraMalave Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I try to access the labs I get the following error:
    "There are no "VMware ICM Pod (2E1V)" pods available for scheduling. Check throughout the catalog. The lab may be available on more than one pod type".

Anyone know what that means?
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just tried it and it works fine for me, currently doing the labs.
  • Options
    @LauraMalave have you updated to the most recent version of Java? Also, using a confirmed version of the supported browsers?

Also not sure what order you're trying but you have to schedule the pods (lab) before being able to access them. There's a video on Moodle that explains the process.
  • Options
    LauraMalaveLauraMalave Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The instructor just sent an email regarding this issue, seems like some of the labs will be down for a couple of days.
    I'm glad its not my system. I was looking forward to getting started, tho. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    J.TotJ.Tot Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The labs are currently broken.
    Specifically the SAN/DNS/DHCP server on the network is not configured correctly(Has no OS, attempts to PXE boot or install ESXi, meaning it's more than likely a clone of ESXi-2
    VCP5 : [X] | VCP6 : [X] | MCSE : 70-412 [X] , 70-417 [ ] , 70-413 [ ] , 70-414 [ ] | VCAP : [ ]
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm looking to buy Scott Lowe's book but I'm wondering which version should I buy. What are you guys using as other study material?
  • Options
    I purchased Scott Lowe's Amazon.com: Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5 (9781118661147): Scott Lowe, Nick Marshall, Forbes Guthrie, Matt Liebowitz, Josh Atwell: Books in addition to the course guide/manual from the school, which seems to be moot since the online lab manuals say to disregard the print version!

I haven't cracked Scott's book open yet but it was recommended on here by several people.
  • Options
    TremiataTremiata Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have just started reading the 5.5 book from Scott Lowe/Nick Marshall, and I was concerned since the class is on 5.1 but the book mentions that they will try to explain the differences from 5.0, 5.1, or 5.5. My home lab is 5.5 at the moment but I may revert back to 5.1 since it is less stressful on the ML110 server I have and 16GB ram.
  • Options
    ospf_neighbor_downospf_neighbor_down Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm using Lowe's book and also going through the CBT Nugget series "VMware vSphere 5.5 VCA-DCV VCP5-DCV" by Greg Shields. The CBT Nugget series is rather poor at explaining concepts, but does a very good at demonstrating workflows click by click.

I've only just begun reading Lowe's book, but so far find it an interesting and quick read...at least compared to Cisco Press CCIE books. Home lab is 5.5 and I did not buy the course book. Seems like money down the drain from what people have said.
  • Options
    labs are repaired and operational. on lab 11
    VCP5 : [X] | VCP6 : [X] | MCSE : 70-412 [X] , 70-417 [ ] , 70-413 [ ] , 70-414 [ ] | VCAP : [ ]
  • Options
    J.Tot wrote: »
    labs are repaired and operational. on lab 11

As far as Moodle Topics I can only see up to Topic 3 / Lab 3. I guess I could go ahead and do the labs in Netlab, but would be nice if I could follow along with the course materials. Have any topics past Topic 3 opened up for anyone else?
  • Options
    I've had all topics opened up since the beginning. don't know why. I've literally watched almost entire course(Topics 11 and 12 are left)

I do expect quizzes to open up weekly.
  • Options
    MagnumRPMagnumRP Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mine were only opened to Topic 3 until this morning. Now it's open all the way to Topic 12. I don't have any additional quizzes yet though.
  • Options
    TremiataTremiata Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I only have up to Topic 3 as well....hmmm.
  • Options
    Wonder if we should say anything to the teacher :P

In any case, I finished my labs. Looking at the blueprint this did not cover nearly enough. They should add a second week to the official ICM course and add things like DVSwitch, VUM, FT and so on.

After I'm done with Video topics I'm going back to Pluralsight/CBT Nuggets and Scott Lowes book.
  • Options
    I talked to one of the instructors on the phone on the first day of class as I was having issues accessing Moodle content. We ended up talking for a while. He mentioned that due to the restrictions placed on them they are not allowed to open up all content at once. The course needs to be a minimum of 4 weeks (I think he said 4 was "unofficial" minimum) so that they don't directly compete with VMware's official courses which are much shorter.

I was thinking of taking the test early but he also mentioned that after completion of the course we should receive a 40-50% discount voucher.

If more topics don't open up on Monday then we should probably contact our instructors to see what's up. After completing this course I'm definitely going back to finish whatever I have left with CBT nuggets and Lowe's book, labbing them up in a home lab.
    J.Tot wrote: »
    Wonder if we should say anything to the teacher :P
  • Options
    swefredswefred Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For more training materials we all have 90 days free trail at www.pluralsight.com.
  • Options
    I only have up to topic 3 still, but I do have access to all of the labs. I think there are several sections this semester so it's possible we are all in different Moodle courses.
  • Options
    After an hour and several errors I was finally able to get my pod working. About 40 minutes into the lab the whole system went offline.

"It's not just you! http://oll2.stanly.edu looks down from here." (Down For Everyone Or Just Me -> Check if your website is down or up?)

I suggest once you are able to get into your pod do whatever you can to finish off ALL the labs. There is a very good chance they will not be working when you want them to.
  • Options
    Netlab site is down...again. Every time I try to do some lab work the system is offline or goes offline. So much for finishing the course early. If this keeps up I may actually need to ask them for an extension.
  • Options
    ghdghd Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When I asked about only having access to topic 3 I was told by my instructor in no uncertain terms:
    "I have to pace this course so that it follows the rules of the state, and with VMware. Basically, if you want to do the course quick, take it from VMware. VMware makes us do it in a longer time, and the state has rules, but we can offer this course much cheaper."

At the end of the day I think we get what we pay for. It is exceptionally cheap and the quality of the videos and labs reflect this. But it does provide me with an affordable way of getting certified in VMware as long as I'm willing to put in the hours with my own lab and some other reference materials. So I don't have any regrets.
  • Options
    Yeah, I b*tch a lot but I'm very happy with the price :)
  • Options
    Still no new quizzes
  • Options
    MagnumRPMagnumRP Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No quizzes here either.
  • Options
    Mine is opened up to Topic 7, but no new quizzes.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mine is open up to Topic 5 I believe but I also do not see any quizzes. I have just been watching the videos and doing the labs, along with reading the Scott Lowe book.
  • Options
    neilperryneilperry Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wonder why everyone has different amount of modules opened for them. I have 12 modules opened up for me although I do not know if the 12th one is 'fully' opened or not. Still only have the quiz from module 2 available.
  • Options
    ghdghd Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think it is up to the instructor - according to mine, the instructors are only supposed to open the material in stages.

I only have topics 1 to 6 and no quizzes. Other instructors appear to be more flexible \ helpful.
  • Options
    ghd wrote: »
    I think it is up to the instructor - according to mine, the instructors are only supposed to open the material in stages.

I only have topics 1 to 6 and no quizzes. Other instructors appear to be more flexible \ helpful.

It must be this.

Also I contacted my teacher
    Hello
    We do not give quizzes in this course other the the ne giving in module 2. All the items you are to complete have being open in this course and the Labs runs to Lab 22 .

Enjoy the broken English. Looks like there are no new quizzes.