Options

Got my official CISSP welcome letter

NimrodHunterNimrodHunter Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just received my official welcome letter from (ISC)2, now to tackle the next certs ... thinking CRISC, CISM, C|EH, OSCP

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats!

But...why C|EH? If it's not an employer/job mandate I don't understand why people pursue this cert. I too, thought I wanted it but after reading the book (for fun) and finding out the fees associated with the exam/etc...not worth it IMO.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Care to share your post pass timeline? Endorsement submittal, response, etc.

SN - I wouldn't bother with the CEH either unless its an employer mandate, you have an extra $600 to use, or really want it.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, in what order do you plan to pursue the certs you listed next? I sit for the CISM in June and I am considering going for CISA in either September or December.
  • Options
    bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Congrats!

But...why C|EH? If it's not an employer/job mandate I don't understand why people pursue this cert. I too, thought I wanted it but after reading the book (for fun) and finding out the fees associated with the exam/etc...not worth it IMO.

It's got a good ROI and is a big hit on job searches.
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    G2700, CISA, CISM, CRISC, are good compliance certs to work on.
    OSCP, OSCE are good technical certs for interest or planning to work on pentesting sector.
  • Options
    sojournsojourn Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After CEH couldn't defend their own website against attacks over a matter of days, the value of the cert went down in my eyes.

Ethical hacking organization hacked, website defaced with Edward Snowden's passport | The Verge
  • Options
    bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    Has there been any follow up to that breach?

EC-Council Says Its Servers Haven
  • Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    But...why C|EH?

I see it a lot now on career searching sites, so if it gets me in the door then it is worth it if it can help advance my career.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As far as I know, they are still in denial. It would be infinitely better if the hacker would trickle out a few scanned passports to show that they were, in fact, compromised.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    @jvrlopez,

I completed my test on 4/25, my endorser submitted everything on 4/28 and was acknowledged received by (ISC)2 on 4/28 ... after 2 weeks of not hearing from (ISC)2 I emailed them on 5/13 and got a generic response that it can take 5 to 6 weeks ... on 5/19 I recieved official welcome letter (3 weeks later).
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I too am considering the CEH cert merely for it's allocation within many security job postings. What would be the best alternative to the CEH? All I can think of that could be related (in content) would be GCIA, GCIH, OSCP, and maybe the SSCP.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I see S+ way more than CEH in job postings, even for federal contracting positions.

Edit: This is for searching in my area. I'm sure this varies by city/region.

SSCP would be better (which CISSP obviously trumps).

CEH is a smidgen more difficult than S+ and doesn't demonstrate any skills. I would favor OSCP next if cybersecurity/netsec is your goal.
  • Options
    My understanding is that OSCP is not as well-known by HR people
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is that CEH is a DoD 8570 qualifier. CISSP by itself certs out 8 of 14 position levels, and CEH certs out another 4. That's pretty good bang for the buck if you're interested in DoD jobs. It's the least amount of certs to cover the greatest number of DoD quals.
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    I too am considering the CEH cert merely for it's allocation within many security job postings. What would be the best alternative to the CEH? All I can think of that could be related (in content) would be GCIA, GCIH, OSCP, and maybe the SSCP.
    GCIH is the closest to CEH, but still its best to take CEH before challenging GCIH; mainly because its easier to self study for CEH and make use of the content overlap to challenge GCIH.
    My understanding is that OSCP is not as well-known by HR people
    Not well known but quality certs has its advantage, the interview process should include the hiring manager and the HR, and if the hiring manager dismiss OSCP as an important cert, you had another reason why not to work for the particular company. While CISSP is a well recognize cert, on the other hand, they may end up hiring you not knowing what they are really looking for, but selecting you just because of your CISSP qualification.
  • Options
    JonnygJonnyg Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You could always expand on the CISSP and attempt a concentration.
    Working on: Nothing, finally.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @jvrlopez,

I completed my test on 4/25, my endorser submitted everything on 4/28 and was acknowledged received by (ISC)2 on 4/28 ... after 2 weeks of not hearing from (ISC)2 I emailed them on 5/13 and got a generic response that it can take 5 to 6 weeks ... on 5/19 I recieved official welcome letter (3 weeks later).

Thanks for the info! I passed 4/14, submitted my endorsement paperwork 4/16, and got selected for an audit on 4/30. Today was 15 business days and the email said to contact them if that was the case. I'm going to do that in the morning but I'm sure ill get a generic response that you mentioned.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna