Are mnemonic's benifical for CISSP taking

GeneCGeneC Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All again,

While reading my various study books I come across things that I believe that should be put into the memory bank. IE OSI Layers and what operates in them, Bell-LaPadula, Biba, Fire extinguisher classes, stages of forensics investigation and action that takes place in each of the stages of forensics investigation.

Many people come up with clever mnemonic's that help them memorize. This does not assist with understanding concepts so much but at the same time I don’t want to miss (limit anyway) the so called gimmies on the exam. IE at what stage of forensics investigations does extraction occur, at what layer does a router operate at, what fire extinguisher is used for an electrical fire....these are all some examples.
Also thanks for everyone’s responses and feedback so far, with just 6 weeks to go to exam date it’s a nice place to learn, vent, and comment

Cheers!
Gene

Comments

• colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    GeneC wrote: »
    Hello All again,

While reading my various study books I come across things that I believe that should be put into the memory bank. IE OSI Layers and what operates in them, Bell-LaPadula, Biba, Fire extinguisher classes, stages of forensics investigation and action that takes place in each of the stages of forensics investigation.

Many people come up with clever mnemonic's that help them memorize. This does not assist with understanding concepts so much but at the same time I don’t want to miss (limit anyway) the so called gimmies on the exam. IE at what stage of forensics investigations does extraction occur, at what layer does a router operate at, what fire extinguisher is used for an electrical fire....these are all some examples.
    Also thanks for everyone’s responses and feedback so far, with just 6 weeks to go to exam date it’s a nice place to learn, vent, and comment

Cheers!
    Gene

If they help you, then by all means, use whatever you can, no reason to handicap yourself when studying.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • JonnygJonnyg Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GeneC wrote: »
    Many people come up with clever mnemonic's that help them memorize. This does not assist with understanding concepts so much but at the same time I don’t want to miss (limit anyway) the so called gimmies on the exam.

You should have a full understanding of the material and then use a mnemonic only as an aid to recall specific information. I typically use mnemonics to recall the order of a model, such as the OSI model, or the order of tasks of a process or framework, such as the RMF. Using the OSI model as an example, you should fully understand all of the layers to the depth required for the CISSP and only rely on a mnemonic to recall basic information, such as the order. Knowing the order isn't going to tell you what each layer does. You will know the information because you fully studied the items first.

I use mnemonics for many topics. I would recommend that others use them if they find it is something that helps them come exam time.
    Working on: Nothing, finally.
  • NimrodHunterNimrodHunter Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To add my 2 cents, I agree that mnemonics should on be used to aid in recalling specific information and that you should have a full understanding of all material in all 10 domains. Does this mean you will use the mnemonics? I cannot say for certain because who knows what will be on the test. My test is not the same as the next person's who takes it, but it never hurts just in case your test happens to ask you to list the 7 OSI layers in order. I would also go further and say you may want to remember processes, not necessarily mnemonics, Shon Harris and Eric Conrad goes into great detail in listing the order of processes (i.e. Risk, BCP, etc) However, SH and EC are not the end all to the correct processes, (ISC)2 is and you may want to see what they list as the correct process for certain items.

Good luck to you.