Options

Finally a MCSA: Windows Server 2008

NetworkEng756NetworkEng756 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Several years ago I tried to take the 70-642 and failed in miserably. Apparently I studied the original material and the test had just switched to R2 and I didn't realize it.

Finally several weeks ago I tried the 70-642 again and failed again by only a question or two. Had to wait 2 weeks to take it again, so I studied for the 70-646 and 70-640 in the meantime. I took those tests and passed. Finally retook 70-642 today and passed!

I'm finally a MCSA after 17 years of working with Windows networks since NT.

Here's what I did to finally pass the 3 exams:

1. Watched the CBT Nuggets videos. And the Train Signal videos (now pluralsight). Both are needed, I think, because both had some good info that the other didn't. Pluralsight is $29/mo and CBT Nuggests to $100/mo. I'm keeping them both to re-certify on my CCNA and maybe the upgrade to MCSA 2012. Using both helped immensely.
2. LAB. LAB. LAB. Used VMware Workstation. And Lab'd some more.
3. Read “MCTS 70-640 Cert Guide” and “MCTS 70-642 Cert Guide” by Don Poulton.

I failed the second time with 70-642 becuase I got cocky. I only read about half the book, and only watched the CBT Nuggets videos. I figured I knew it but wasn't prepared with port numbers those damn simlet thingys. To pass the 3rd time, I think what helped me most is watching all the videos for 70-640, 70-642, and 70-646 from both CBT Nuggets and Train Signal. Having watched all these together I think it finally pulled everything together. It helped me understand my weaknesses better. I especially paid attention to the R2 update videos in both courses which helped tremendously.

And for all you conspiracy theorists out there - on the second time (failed) I took 642 I filled out the pre-questionairre with all high numbers on all the questions about my skillset. The third time I took the test I put in middle-of-the-road answers for everything - and got MUCH easier questions. Don't know if it was a coincidence, but sure was wierd.

Contimplating 70-417 next to upgrade to 2012, but only have 2 or 3 servers running it at work, so I'm not that familiar with it..... I think I'm going to re-certify on CCNA next..... we'll see....

Comments

• Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass . Good luck with your CCNA
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    sacredboysacredboy Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Guys I thought Windows Server 2008 certification exams have been retired last year, haven't they?
    Best, sacredboy!
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    no, the MCITP title retired, one of the upgrade exams, and a couple of the exams for the MCITP:EA.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats dude that is excellent news :)
  • Options
    sacredboysacredboy Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TS, which exam was the hardest one and on the contrary the easiest one?
    Best, sacredboy!
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How did I miss this post? A belated congratulations on your MCSA.
    Here's what I did to finally pass the 3 exams:

1. Watched the CBT Nuggets videos. And the Train Signal videos (now pluralsight). Both are needed, I think, because both had some good info that the other didn't. Pluralsight is $29/mo and CBT Nuggests to $100/mo. I'm keeping them both to re-certify on my CCNA and maybe the upgrade to MCSA 2012. Using both helped immensely.
    2. LAB. LAB. LAB. Used VMware Workstation. And Lab'd some more.
    3. Read “MCTS 70-640 Cert Guide” and “MCTS 70-642 Cert Guide” by Don Poulton.
    That was actually my plan and I'm glad that some else utilized it. I haven't looked into books yet other than the ones I used in my active directory classes in college. I was unsure if I would be able to lab it with VMware, but I am glad you able to prove that it can be done. What type of system did you run it on? I was considering upgrading to a newer i7 laptop with 32GB of RAM and a some display ports. I am curious since I currently have an i7 3720QM ENVY maxed at 16GB with two display ports and HDMI. How many VMs did you utilize and did you run then on SSD for more stability?
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    _calvin__calvin_ Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I keep seeing people say a couple of the MCITP:EA exams are retired but I can't find that anywhere on microsoft's retire page. I remember reading it last year that the exams were suppose to retire January 2014 but I don't think any of them have been retired yet. Can someone confirm please.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Microsoft kept pushing back the retirement date due to backlash from the public, and then ultimately decided not to retire it at all. (and also because Windows 8 was a flop, and also due to the unpopularity and extremely slow adoption of Server 2012)

Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 is still where it's at. :)
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, dude!

It seems we have a similar profile. Are you also mostly a neteng/cisco guy? I took the 640 a couple of years ago, but never bothered with 642/646 since they no longer count towards MS partner status. Are you encouraged by work to complete the MCSA, or is it more of a personal quest?
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I spoke with Microsoft a month or so ago because I kept seeing people say MCITP is retired. The MCITP is NOT retired and no part of the MCITP exam requirements are retired.

You did the same thing I did, start looking for certs or exams about to retire and you won't find any of the current MCITP required exams for the certification are retiring. I grilled MS about the odd messaging they have on the site which presumes the MCITP will end 07/31/2014 but in fact will not.

This exam is retiring which triggers the display of the message about MCITP retiring on the MS MCITP page:

Retiring on July 31, 2014
    70-682: Pro: Upgrading to Windows 7 MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

_calvin_ wrote: »
    I keep seeing people say a couple of the MCITP:EA exams are retired but I can't find that anywhere on microsoft's retire page. I remember reading it last year that the exams were suppose to retire January 2014 but I don't think any of them have been retired yet. Can someone confirm please.
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the clarification chaps, there has been alot of contradictory stuff on the MS website this year. I need to get the MCSA 2008 exams in and nailed so if anyone is still continuing with this path/studying etc then drop me a message
  • Options
    Doyen wrote: »
    How did I miss this post? A belated congratulations on your MCSA.

That was actually my plan and I'm glad that some else utilized it. I haven't looked into books yet other than the ones I used in my active directory classes in college. I was unsure if I would be able to lab it with VMware, but I am glad you able to prove that it can be done. What type of system did you run it on? I was considering upgrading to a newer i7 laptop with 32GB of RAM and a some display ports. I am curious since I currently have an i7 3720QM ENVY maxed at 16GB with two display ports and HDMI. How many VMs did you utilize and did you run then on SSD for more stability?

I'm running on a Dell Precision Workstation, Xeon 3.4 processor, 32 gig RAM, SSD for primary drive but I ran the VMs off a secondary 1 TB old fashioned spindle drive. 2 monitors. I was running 4-5 VMs at a time. I think this is overkill for that lab setup, you should be fine on the machine you have.
  • Options
    Congrats, dude!

It seems we have a similar profile. Are you also mostly a neteng/cisco guy? I took the 640 a couple of years ago, but never bothered with 642/646 since they no longer count towards MS partner status. Are you encouraged by work to complete the MCSA, or is it more of a personal quest?

I'm a jack-of-all-trades guy, but I enjoy networking and security the most. To be honest, the only reason I got the MCSA was in order to get transfer credits for WGU. I think it was 4 or 5 courses it knocked out.