OG RFCs in Domain 2

teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
In the OG, in Domain 2 (Telecom & Network Sec), The RFCs for many of the protocols are listed. In particular, pages 300 - 310 have tables with the RFCs listed for various protocols.

I don't want to allocate precious exam studying time to memorizing RFCs if that is unnecessary. I have no desire to memorize them -- even for knowledge sake -- because I can easily look them up if necessary.

Am I safe to assume that memorizing RFCs is unnecessary (that this exam does not require memorization at that level)?
If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I would take the time to memorize the classic RFCs like 791, 792, and 822. Just the most common networking protocols should do.
  • sojournsojourn Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Know what RFC 1918 is. :)
  • keremoztkeremozt Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with sojourn, I have 10 years of technical, hands on experience in Telecoms domain and never needed to memorize RFC numbers. Imho, it goes the same for details on memorizing Orange Book levels and so on.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    sojourn wrote: »
    Know what RFC 1918 is. :)
    Thanks a good one to know too!
    keremozt wrote:
    I agree with sojourn, I have 10 years of technical, hands on experience in Telecoms domain and never needed to memorize RFC numbers. Imho, it goes the same for details on memorizing Orange Book levels and so on.
    I use RFCs almost every day because I work with protocol analysis and I need to know how protocols (are suppose to) work. Memorizing the numbers makes researching faster. The Telecom industry contains a very diverse set of knowledge and skills, and most Telecom jobs are not down in the bits that flow across the media. For those job that are, knowing the RFCs is beneficial and even necessary.

As to the Orange Book, that's part of InfoSec history. To say that knowing about the Orange Books isn't necessary because it isn't used anymore is like saying the studies of Roman architecture, Egyptian hieroglyphics, or the fossils of extinct species isn't necessary for the same reason.