Stanford (SCPD) - Certificate of Advanced Computer Security - Overview

2»

Comments

• serene2013serene2013 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congra and thanks for your feedback regarding the course.

I am gonna register soon.
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    I would be definitely interested in doingthe certificate in a few months .
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    So on LinkedIn does this go under education or certifications?
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would say education...
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    just wanted to add, that especially for the cost, they could have jazzed up the certificate a little bit... I understand they don't want someone to confuse a professional certificate with a graduate certificate, but I was expecting something a little more diploma-like, not a CBT certificate. JMO.
  • auxiliarypriestauxiliarypriest Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. Thanks for keeping us updated on your journey.
    2020 Goals: [x ] C|HFI [x] CySA+ [x ] MSCSIA
    Connect with me on Linkedin, just say you're from TechExams
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    colemic wrote: »
    just wanted to add, that especially for the cost, they could have jazzed up the certificate a little bit... I understand they don't want someone to confuse a professional certificate with a graduate certificate, but I was expecting something a little more diploma-like, not a CBT certificate. JMO.

I agree. Though I'll take what I can get.

And yes, I put this under education.
    I was hoping to use the rest of my one year of Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits for a professional certificate from Stanford; unfortunately, since I wouldn't be a matriculated (i.e., officially admitted to Stanford University) student, professional certificated aren't eligible (per post-9/11 rules) since it isn't part of an official degree program. A bit disappointed in that, but it is, what it is... just adding here in case someone searches for it.
    That's too bad. Who told you that?
    Their website.

'Professional Certificates are not eligible for the Post-911 GI Bill. Students receiving the Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation for Disabled Veterans) benefit may use their benefits.'

Military Programs | Stanford University

It also is in line with what I have learned/heard about the Post 9/11 GI Bill, and its focus on getting vets into degree-granting programs, not just tech training.
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just wanted to chime in, I just completed the Stanford Certificate as well, I thought it was a pretty well laid out course that got into some concepts that honestly I felt were explained thoroughly and even though sometimes it was hard to follow I'd definitely recommend it for someone looking to add that extra certificate or even someone that wants to learn a bit more. The cryptography course was excellent, the last class I took however was the exploiting and protecting web applications and I felt that was a little hard to follow. They are however coming out with new classes this term and the next so you won't have to take that class.

I believe malware and some other classes will be available soon. [h=1]Future Topics[/h]

• Forensics
    • Identity Management and Authentication
    • Malware
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
    nelson8403 wrote: »
    I just wanted to chime in, I just completed the Stanford Certificate as well, I thought it was a pretty well laid out course that got into some concepts that honestly I felt were explained thoroughly and even though sometimes it was hard to follow I'd definitely recommend it for someone looking to add that extra certificate or even someone that wants to learn a bit more. The cryptography course was excellent, the last class I took however was the exploiting and protecting web applications and I felt that was a little hard to follow. They are however coming out with new classes this term and the next so you won't have to take that class.

I believe malware and some other classes will be available soon. Future Topics

• Forensics
    • Identity Management and Authentication
    • Malware

Thanks for your input. I wish I had seen your post earlier. I agree with your thoughts on the web application course. I would've likely substituted it for Malware.
    Congrats on completing the course... this is on my list, but isn't funded yet, may not ever be.
  • thehayn1thehayn1 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If all the exam materials come with pdfs, can't you just search the pdfs for the answers on the questions you get stuck on, instead of watching an entire lecture all over again?
    thehayn1 wrote: »
    If all the exam materials come with pdfs, can't you just search the pdfs for the answers on the questions you get stuck on, instead of watching an entire lecture all over again?

It doesn't work that way. The PDFs are unstructured and only outline main points. The questions themselves come from the presentations/explanations from the professors.

brifbraff wrote: »
    I started the certificate with Software Security Foundations course. It was a good and detailed intro to Security. If you just want to get the basics and not the certificate you can buy the book Software Security Foundations instead of this course. Course follows the book chapter by chapter.

As a non-native English speaker I struggled to understand Dr. Daswani's English but I got used to it. I think only down side of the first course was the exam. Some of the questions were not good picks for multiple choice.

Overall it's worth the money.

I agree. The general structure of his English could have used some work. Thanks for your input!
  • BurnsieBurnsie Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tagging this for later. Thanks for the detailed write up.

B
  • someperson49someperson49 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting thread, and something to consider.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That certificate looks awesome. Congrats and thanks for sharing the info :)
  • RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I seriously think of enrolling for this certification program.
    To be honest, is mainly due to the name of the university, I believe it will fit perfectly on my resume.

The only think that worries me is that I am more of an Infrastructure guys then developer. Franky i have no developer experience though I had around 10 exams during my BSc that were coding.programing so I know the concepts.

Is it really programming experience required? I just don't want to go to a program that is too sci-fi and I get stacked in the middle with no way out.
    In your opinion is someone who is system/infrastructure analyst with lot of security experience will be able to pass the courses?
  • omgomg Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm also interested in enrolling for this certification but i would like to know if you receive a valid transcript on your mailbox or is just a electronic certificate (eg. a PDF file).
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I may have missed it, but did you have a Masters before this or is this only your post-undergraduate education?

I am asking because I am debating on whether or not I should pursue the certificate or just go full masters degree? (especially looking at the cost)
  • RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Remedymp, if the question is addressed to me, I already have master degree.
    Depending on which university you'll go, but I think master should be more worth than this certificate even though its from stanford its still a certificate and one might even debate whether this should be under certificates or education section on linkedin.
    omg wrote: »
    I'm also interested in enrolling for this certification but i would like to know if you receive a valid transcript on your mailbox or is just a electronic certificate (eg. a PDF file).

You receive a printed certificate.
    Remedymp wrote: »
    I may have missed it, but did you have a Masters before this or is this only your post-undergraduate education?

I am asking because I am debating on whether or not I should pursue the certificate or just go full masters degree? (especially looking at the cost)

I only had an undergraduate degree prior to pursuing this certificate. I am nearly finished with my MBA now.
  • ns3geekns3geek Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I have one question regarding the grading system of Stanford University Advance Computer Security Certificate. They have S = Satisfactory - A or B equivalent. What A or B equivalent means here? Thanks in advance for reply
  • ns3geekns3geek Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I have one question regarding the grading system of Stanford University Advance Computer Security Certificate. They have S = Satisfactory - A or B equivalent. What A or B equivalent means here? Thanks in advance for reply
  • vaneetsvaneets Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi OP,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I would like to raise Replicon's question again. Based on your experience or anyone who has finished this cert, the only course that worries me is secure code writing. I have been an Infrastructure guy and just finished my WGU MSCSIA. How hard is the secure code writing exam? I'm seriously considering enrolling.
    Thanks