Options

Passed CISSP

itguy1979itguy1979 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm pleased to say I just passed my CISSP on my first try and after 3 months of intense studying. If you're like me and haven't taken the test yet you are a nervous wreck at times and your confidence level will fluctuate during your studying. My goal in this post is to share my entire experience with you, not as a guide per say, however; feel free to steal shamelessly. These are the steps I took to pass....

Step 1. Your entire household needs to be on board with your goal, wife, kids, pets. Candidly put someone not in IT has no idea what this test means, simply stating you're studying for a test probably won't cut it. Have a well thought out dinner conversation and set the expectations early on your availability.

Now that everyone is on board let's get to it...

Step 2. I purchased 3 things after reading though several suggested methods. 1 Shon Harris 6 , 2 Eric Conrad (most recent), and 3 membership (PAID) to cccure.org. I also purchased small items like flash cards (300), highlighters, coffee, energy drinks, snacks...

Step 3. I started off with the first domain in Shon Harris, my goal was to complete 1 domain a week. I was able to get a hold of her audio as well which assisted with the domains I read. In short I got about 40% through Shon Harris and felt overwhelmed. It's a great book, however; it's very granular. I then switched to Eric Conrad, it was like heaven reading this book vs Shon Harris for me, short, sweet, and to the point. You WILL NOT learn to appreciate this book until you are at least 40% into Shon Harris.

Step 4. So I read Eric Conrad, however; there wasn't a day that went by that I didn't refer to Shon Harris for a more granular explanation, thus the reason why you see so many people referencing 2 and 3 different reading resources. These two books were a perfect combination. I also want to share that completing a domain didn't consist of just reading it. Often times on rides to work, or when I just couldn't bare to read anymore I would listen to audio. They are great and keep you on course so find yourself some audio versions for each domain.

Step 5 and so on... QUIZ QUIZ QUIZ QUIZ, Flash cards.... Why did I use the flash cards? Well If I read it, hear it, and then write it, chances are I have a better understanding. I recommend this for all weak areas. So how many questions did I complete? In CCCure alone I was II completed 3000 questions, this does not count Shon Harris or other sources. In short do so many quizzes until you can consistently score in the 80th percentile.

Quizzes are important because you prepare your body to endure 250 questions within a 6 hour time frame. While you're quizzing take 50 at a time, ultimately you want to be able to learn from your mistakes. Closer to test time increase that number and eventually take 250.

I do want to add that 3 weeks prior to taking the test I did enroll in a 1 week boot camp, my only feedback is don't be fooled thinking these classes will make or break you. You will find out if you have been studying that the instructor has not covered many items you have read, simply because there is not enough time in the day nor is the class intended to cover everything.

Last thing, during my course of studying and quizzing sometimes I felt very discouraged after taking a quiz, hang in there study the questions you got wrong so that you understand, DO NOT try and remember stuff to get by try and understand this information. Also don't study for more then 4-5 hours per day and don't study for no less then 2-3 hours per day.

GOOD LUCK.....

Comments

• Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Good review. Congrats on the pass. It's a grueling test and to date I think the number certified is still less than 100,000 in the world.

Everyone reading this will not be the same and some the advice might not work for you, that's fine, but if you take anything away from this review, let it be about UNDERSTANDING the material. Little to no memorization is required for this exam, you MUST have a deep understanding of the material to pass.

Nice work.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, I am trying to sit in two weeks from now.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    iknowit2iknowit2 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and thanks for the steps.
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and thank you for the steps/tipsicon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    Spin LockSpin Lock Member Posts: 142
    Well done ITGuy. Congrats on passing.

Looking back, was there anything in your preparation you would have done differently?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone...

Spin Lock to answer your question I think I would have started studying earlier and would have probably looked into more sources for practice quizzes.. I do want to add that I took a lot of time off from work 2 weeks prior to test to study all day....
  • Options
    That is correct the number passed is less then 100,000 and the number tested is in the 500,000 range... This is world wide.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I agree with you on #1. I told my wife to give me a month to myself to study everyday and it would pay off. She agreed to this and I was able to study as much as I wanted and with space and peace.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    itguy1979 wrote: »
    That is correct the number passed is less then 100,000 and the number tested is in the 500,000 range... This is world wide.

If this stat is true then lots of people are failing. This isnt a test where **** are available so i believe people are properly preparing for it. Make me wonder if this is a money making venture.
  • Options
    JonnygJonnyg Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The member counts for (ISC)2 certs can be found here. There are 93,391 current CISSP members (60,695 in the U.S.) as of right now. I'm not sure if (ISC)2 discusses the number of total exam attempts or not.
    Working on: Nothing, finally.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What percentile were you testing at in CCCure just before you took the exam?