Options

Adding another switch(s) to my lab

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
I only have one switch right now for my home lab - a 2950 that I got around 2008. I know I need to add at least one more for studying purposes. I'm on a very tight budget right now, so I'm looking at the cheapest switch that can do the job for me to pass SWITCH. I want to a do a real lab vs. GNS3; personal preference. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    atl_libraatl_libra Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    3560's are going for decent prices on ebay.........
  • Options
    I know Jeremy Cioara suggested a 3550 for a Layer 3 switch. Is there any difference between this and a 3560?
  • Options
    atl_libraatl_libra Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IPV6, Advanced QOS , Private Vlans....can't think off the top of my head if anything else.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For SWITCH, Private VLANs are about the only thing you'll really miss.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    If you're on a budget you'd probably be better off using IOU for the majority of the topics and then spending like $100 on rack rentals for the features that aren't supported.
  • Options
    I saw quite a few 3550 switches on eBay. Is there something in particular I should look for, such as a particular IOS, memory, etc, when getting one (behind the best one I can afford, of course)?
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You can get the IOS online if your google-fu is up to scratch.

I have 2 x 3750 and 2 x 3550 in my lab and that's enough for me. They only run 12.2 but that really is enough. The only feature I think I'm missing so far is VTP version 3 and well I'm not that worried.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    3560s are still expensive, though alot less than they used to be ($125 vs. $200). 3550s are alot cheaper. They won't do PVLANs, but if price is a concern they are an option for a Layer 3 switch.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]