The Unleashed Book

alsonalson Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Have any one watched the YouTube videos by the Eli the Computer Guy?

He said that the Windows Server 2012 Unleashed by Sams is a very great source to learn Win Server 2012. If I could get this book, do you think this book would be enough to make me ready for all MCSA exams? Only 70-410? generally how useful this book is?

If it's not that good, what book you would suggest?

I need your opinions please about that book or maybe other books you see helpful.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    While I cant comment on the Server 2012 Unleashed book (because I havent read it), I did read through the Server 2008 Unleashed one and found it to be a great resource. But it sure wasnt the only resource I used for learning the material and preparing for the tests. It's more of a reference book than a certification book per se. What I'd do (and you probably are already) is have a home lab, pick up the MS certification guide + CBT Nuggets, hit up TechNet as much as possible and then fill in the gaps with the Unleashed book. In addition, there should be more than a few threads in the Microsoft certs sub-forum on here with people passing their 2012 exams and providing lists of resources they used, head there for great information.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    alson wrote: »
    Have any one watched the YouTube videos by the Eli the Computer Guy?

He said that the Windows Server 2012 Unleashed by Sams is a very great source to learn Win Server 2012. If I could get this book, do you think this book would be enough to make me ready for all MCSA exams? Only 70-410? generally how useful this book is?

If it's not that good, what book you would suggest?

I need your opinions please about that book or maybe other books you see helpful.

I've watched the videos and looked into this myself.
    I was looking into this book whilst studying for 70-410, but it didn't have that many good reviews on Amazon.
    Windows Server 2012 Unleashed

If I were to do the MCSA exams today I would go for the Windows Server 2012 Inside Out
    It's beefy though, but it got you covered.

Hope this helps.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
  • alsonalson Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you Essendon and Trashman.

You all are helpful, but the problem that having a lot of informtion made me a bit confused about what is the best book to buy, the best website to read from, the best videos to watch.

But what i'm sure of is to go for the CBT Nugetts, almost every one told me to watch the videos, and to have my own home lab as well.

But other than that, i still can't decide what is the best material/book to read, specially that all books are around 500 to 600 pages. To be honest, i'm in a hurry to achieve something, but i feel i'm achieving nothing. When i imagine to buy a 600 pages book, i feel frustrated when should i finish that certificate.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How I did all my MS exams (and I have passed close to a dozen of them):

1. Watch the Nuggets
    2. Build my lab according to the Nuggets and add more VM's/things/roles/features as I go through the blueprint
    3. Read the corresponding articles on TechNet. Lab the hell out of all I read there
    4. Fill in gaps with the books (Unleashed and Mastering)
    5. Repeat any/all above steps as needed

Passed all but the 647 (failed twice), 643 (failed once) and Vista exam in my first attempt using this method. I didnt read any books for most exams. I didnt have lots of experience with Windows Server, just over 2 years worth. Hope this helps.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Essendon wrote: »
    How I did all my MS exams (and I have passed close to a dozen of them):

1. Watch the Nuggets
    2. Build my lab according to the Nuggets and add more VM's/things/roles/features as I go through the blueprint
    3. Read the corresponding articles on TechNet. Lab the hell out of all I read there
    4. Fill in gaps with the books (Unleashed and Mastering)
    5. Repeat any/all above steps as needed

Passed all but the 647 (failed twice), 643 (failed once) and Vista exam in my first attempt using this method. I didnt read any books for most exams. I didnt have lots of experience with Windows Server, just over 2 years worth. Hope this helps.

love this strat. I might give this a go come the MCSA pursuit again. I failed the 70-640 exam and got discouraged and instead took the Sec + pursuit and now I'm nearly finished with the CCENT pursuit. But I'm realizing now that a ton of people fail the Microsoft exams since they are wicked hard....
  • alsonalson Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Essendon , yes that's really helpful.

I'm gonna follow the same track and hopefully I can achieve my goal...wish me luck.

I have been waiting for somebody to brief me with a clear plan that has 1,2,3...