Options

Studying for two certs simultaneously

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
Do you study for one or two certifications at the same time? I know everyone's different, but want to get an idea.

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I've done it. Your brain will hurt and it'll be a slower process but it's definitely doable. Just make sure they are closely related yet fundamentally different (i.e. Studying Juniper and Cisco certs at the same time).
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As Iris said, it is doable. Unless they are related, you can lose focus. After my 2nd failure on the composite CCNA, I was reviewing topics while studying for VCA certifications. It got to the point of labbing for the CCNA and watching/reading VCA material while I was on the go. It did push my CCNA retake 7 months later after my 2nd attempt. If I was focused, I may have been able to pushed it to 3- I was just mainly studying my weak areas and the new topics in the 200-120 version of the CCNA.

From experience, it is easier to retain and focus the material if you just aim for one at a time. Then again, I am being a hypocrite and not following by that example. While studying for my A+, I was also studying for my EMC ISM certification. I don't even know why, but after I passed both A+ exams, instead of just studying my EMC cert, I am also working on network+. This is all while I am taking CISSP classes once a week. This can leave your mind brain-waffled.

So between full time school, part time work, and part time sleep, the certifications (yes plural) studying is mixed in there with techexams forum browsing. Would I advise doing this? I don't know depends on your commitment, focus, and insanity. Now to live by what I am advising you, when those previous certs are done, I plan on studying certs with an easy transition. A good example would be security+ and then/while CCNA:Security. That is how studying multiple certs should be, building on one another. Green apples and then/while red apples...not avocados then/while tomatoes. Easily doable if you can open up multiple VMs in your head, partitioning you mind doesn't seem to work anymore...
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've put myself in the unfortunate position of committing to two related certifications (GCFE and GCFA) at the same time. I was hoping to have the former completed before starting on the second course and exam, but scheduling didn't work itself out that way. To be honest, I wish I hadn't signed up for the exams since they're not directly relevant to my day-to-day workflow, but the knowledge from the courses definitely provide context and fundamentally enhances my approach in my present role.

There comes a point where you cross the line into paper chaser territory and have more certs than what you can reliably demonstrate for. My line-up of so-called credentials have stepped over that threshold of quality vs. quantity. It lessens the credibility of my alphabet soup stack. Due to time constraints and mental stress, I'm at the point where I'm just going through the motions to get through them. If it has come to that, I think that's a sign to re-examine my priorities.

While having studied for and obtaining many certifications was fun, I think spreading myself too thin within a relatively short span of time proves the need for hands-on work experience to bake the skill and knowledge into wisdom for those certifications to have some merit. I don't plan on stopping training every year, but certifications are going to be much less of a priority for me, especially with my current workload at my employer. For me, I think I've stepped over that ROI boundary at my current career stage.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    You are correct. I'm sure you get to the point of the certs you are studying become less relevant of what you are doing in your career or you start to "lose" the information you certified for. You'll eventually get to the point of becoming a "serial cert killer". However, I know of some ISSA members that take certs because their job pays for them...wouldn't you take advantage of such an opportunity if your employer offered?
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    CCIE is enough for now, thanks.

Though, I do remember reading once that someone did the R&S lab and SP lab and passed both within 14 days of each other. I can see how this can be achieved as most of the SP content is an extension to the R&S content, MPLS based things... and IS-IS etc (Though I actually covered ISIS in my CCNP 4 years ago...)
  • Options
    CCIE is an accomplishment by itself.bowing.gif With the amount of labbing and studying, I do not see how anyone could mix another cert while going for their CCIE.icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Only VCP while studying for CCENT. Was very silly in hindsight. Even thought the knowledge base is complementary, the topics go deep both ways.
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did PMP and VCP5-DCV in December. Ended up delaying PMP exam until last month. lol
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not quite the same but I have been working on school full time & working on CCNA. It makes for real slow progress, but its progress.

School takes priority, so at times I can go 2-3 days without looking at anything CCNA. The biggest hurdle for me is working on these subject on separate blocks of time. I Cant just drop one and pick up the other....One on lunch, the other after dinner for example.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes I believe I tried that once or twice before. I think I've created a thread here as well asking if it was a good idea as well

I tried doing this when I was going for my MCITP/MCSA on Windows Server 2008 and CCENT at the same time....still without my CCENT and have been studying for about half a year.

Depends on the person I guess. I am much more successful one at a time.
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Studying for both GSEC and GCIA at the moment, but truth be told...GSEC alone feels like two or three test in One. Smh. icon_study.gif
  • Options
    sasnimrodsasnimrod Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would never consider going for 2 cert simultaneously. The only exception might be if I am allocated suitable study time from my full-time job.
  • Options
    The consensus so far appears to be it's best to study for one cert at a time. This makes sense because we can focus and learn the topic deeply than superficially.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To me studying for both an MCSA and CCNP (route currently) is just like university in terms of workload
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Only VCP while studying for CCENT. Was very silly in hindsight. Even thought the knowledge base is complementary, the topics go deep both ways.

I'm doing VCP/CCNA currently but both are at somewhat a slow pace. I haven't scheduled exam dates for either although I plan to achieve both within 3-6 months.

I also just bought a Ruby book and will be picking up Python again so...here goes nothing :)
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I do it quite often and regularly take both exams on the same day. I make sure they are related, like both of the Exchange 2013 exams or both of the Office 365 exams, so I'm adding maybe 25% to my study effort instead of doubling it. It's easier for me to block out an entire day for exams rather than try to schedule 2 half days.
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I took and passed, MS Workstation, Server, and Server enterprise for NT4 all the same day, back to back to back, then MS TCP/IP test a week later, then Exchange 5.5 the next week. MCSE in two weeks - won a bet! But they (except for maybe exchange) were much easier back then, with a lot of overlap. A couple year ago, I took Enterays Switching/NMS and Wireless exams the same day as well, due to scheduling. But, I had already been working with MS and Enterasys gear pretty regularly before taking the tests.

College students regularly carry 4-5 different classes, so as long as you have the time, taking two at once shouldn't be too bad.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I tend to jump around topics because I want to do everything at once. It does not help my studying but it helps keep me from getting to bored. However I don't think I would actually attempt to study for two certs at once. I like to think of it more like I am lining up my next topics.

I guess if you have a goal that needs to be achieved then by all means go for it. Otherwise I think the time might be better spent taking one at a time.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It can be done, though I'd only recommend it if they're somewhat related. I studied for CEH, took a little break, then started studying for CCNA. The networking part kind of helped with the CEH.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    wes allen wrote: »
    I took and passed, MS Workstation, Server, and Server enterprise for NT4 all the same day, back to back to back, then MS TCP/IP test a week later, then Exchange 5.5 the next week. MCSE in two weeks - won a bet! But they (except for maybe exchange) were much easier back then, with a lot of overlap. A couple year ago, I took Enterays Switching/NMS and Wireless exams the same day as well, due to scheduling. But, I had already been working with MS and Enterasys gear pretty regularly before taking the tests.

College students regularly carry 4-5 different classes, so as long as you have the time, taking two at once shouldn't be too bad.

That was quite an impressive and expensive 2 weeks! I can see how college students may be able to do carry that weight with multiple classes, so I guess maybe that is how I am adjusting with multiple certification studies. I didn't think of it that way.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    wes allen wrote: »

Up to 18-24 hours (most I did was 21). My first full-time position started right before senior year so 12-15 hrs class and 40 hrs work each week...it puts most certification exams in perspective.
  • Options
    A few brought up the course load at university. I actually thought about that 'cause in university I used to take 5 courses each term, so I tried to put myself in the same mindset with certs (although not studying for 5 certs!). But somehow to me university courses are very different than certs. I don't know why and how, maybe someone can compare!
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah I can see the argument for it being possible akin to college, but, not a lot of us are in college/university.

While I was at University I was either in a lecture or down the pub. I could have spent that time better by doing my MCP exams earlier I guess. I started certs right after I finished my degree. December 2004 I picked up my first.. 70-270. Ah, memories of struggling to find the test centre and nearly forfeiting my £120, then finding it just in time...

I think I've since been back 20+ times :)
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »

While I was at University I was either in a lecture or down the pub.

But you didn't see where you spent most of your time; pub or lecture :) But we know the answer!
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was never able to do this. I think my brain would explode from the amount of memorization taking place all at once. Whats the hurry btw?
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    you can definitely study the theory for next certification while learning the practical for the current one. Double theory is difficult. But a pratical/theory approach is viable
  • Options
    dave1227dave1227 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm studying for the Security + and the Microsoft Configuring Windows 8.1 right now. But I already took a security class that covered basically all the same material so it's not that bad. It's just nice for me to have more than 1 subject to study. I'm probably going to take the Security + in a couple weeks then I'll focus more on the 8.1 exam,but I'm going to mix in some A+ studying too,time permitting.
  • Options
    I had a classmate ask me why I decided to do such crazy stuff. I told them that I feel like I am wasting my time at home when I am not working, sleeping, or at school. It is great how I can personal study some topic and then ask various instructors if I have any questions about anything while I am still in school. Three years ago or so I would have been playing my XBox 360s for about 40 or 50 hours a week when I wasn't working full time. I have since woken up to focus on getting a degree, certifications, and eventually a great career to live on. I have just merely shifted my focus to "playing" certifications instead.

On a side note, I going to buy myself an XBox One as a gift to myself when I graduate in December. If I had one now, I definitely don't think I would be graduating or graduating at a 3.8 GPA. icon_redface.gif
    daviddws wrote: »
    I was never able to do this. I think my brain would explode from the amount of memorization taking place all at once. Whats the hurry btw?

I am starting to feel that- BRAIN-WAFFLES. Poor time management was my enemy this week. I was going to take both my EMC ISM exam and Security+ tomorrow, but I felt a little overwhelmed. This was not due to the difference in topics, but because I scheduled both exams on the same day and on the same week as two of my finals. I decided to reschedule my Security+ for another 2 weeks allowing me to play around with MeasureUp software and read another Security+ book. I wanted to schedule it next week, but with the start of the new term, I have to push it off to another week.

It will be quite interesting. I intended to study Security+ and then lead into CCNA: Security, however, one of my instructors is allowing me the opportunity to use some virtual equipment next term so I can lab for the VMware VCP510 certification (already took the class). So I will be finishing up on reviewing Security+ and start (or continue) my studies with EXSi. After Security+, I will be playing around with VCP510 while studying CCNA: Security- mainly book reading or video watching until I finish with VCP510.
    LionelTeo wrote: »
    you can definitely study the theory for next certification while learning the practical for the current one. Double theory is difficult. But a pratical/theory approach is viable

Viable, if someone has proper time management. I inadvertently overloaded my schedule this week. icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    lilysimithlilysimith Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, you can. I'm studying two different Grad Cert's with two different uni's. It sounds like you might be talking more about a credit transfer. I'd talk to both universities before you undertake a unit you might not get credit for at your new uni!