Gibson SSCP V ISC Official Guide

RiKi1861RiKi1861 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been working my way through the Gibson "All in One", but getting a bit fed up with some of the inaccuracies, typo erros etc, and wondering whether it's worth swapping to the Official SSCP guide. I have had a browse at the contents of the ISC version via Amazon and they look fairly similar in terms of layout, overall book size etc.

Any opinions, alt suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used only the Gibson book, and Google searches here and there. Passed without much trouble.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Realize that the degree of success any give exam candidate will have with a specific study resource depends largely on what the candidate already knows (a priori) about the topics of the exam and how well the candidate is able to study the resource material. People rarely consider these factors when determining what study resources to use.
  • RiKi1861RiKi1861 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your replies. I have invested in the ISC Guide, and I have to say they (Gibson & ISC) actually work very well together. Gibson's is probably more pragmatic, but it's also nice to dip into some of the CBK areas in more depth with the ISC's explanations. I have also obtained the ISC practice tests from their website, which appear to be very good at pinpointing weak areas.
  • teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RiKi1861 wrote: »
    I've been working my way through the Gibson "All in One", but getting a bit fed up with some of the inaccuracies, typo erros etc, and wondering whether it's worth swapping to the Official SSCP guide. ...
    The OG also has a lot of errors. See this thread: Here are some thoughts on the OG vs other sources:
    If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D
    Thanks for the links. I also recognized your comments re exam terminology. The 1st practice test (downloaded from the ISC site) threw me completely, as up until that point, I had only been studying Gibson. That was probably the main motivator for getting the OG.

Re your comment on the Kindle version's absent Transport Layer Security section. I don't know if it's been added recently, but mine has a Transport Layer Security Protocol section.
    Thanks for the links. I also recognized your comments re exam terminology. The 1st practice test (downloaded from the ISC site) threw me completely, as up until that point, I had only been studying Gibson. That was probably the main motivator for getting the OG.

Re your comment on the Kindle version's absent Transport Layer Security section. I don't know if it's been added recently, but mine has a Transport Layer Security Protocol section.
    Thanks. Just curious, what is the "Location" of your "Transport Layer Security Protocol" section?
    If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D
    "Transport Layer Security Protocol" is in the Network chapter and under Network Topologies and their Security Issues (kindle ed).
    "Transport Layer Security Protocol" is in the Network chapter and under Network Topologies and their Security Issues (kindle ed).
    Hmm, I can't find it. My network topology section starts at location 7538. Is that the same location in your Kindle edition?

Edit: I see -- you are using the SSCP book and I'm using the CISSP book. I need to read the thread title more carefully. =)
    Passed sscp on Tuesday, so feeling very happy at the moment. On reflection I think all 3 resources played their bit in getting me through. The study scope was a game changer, as it forced me to address the weaker aspects of my knowledge, and the sort of phraseology to expect in the exam, and in support of that, the ISC guide was a valuable resource. but I also have to give credit to Gibson for simplifying and explaining some of the cbks which I hadn't previously had a lot of exposure to. I suppose my only regret was not reaching out and using this forum more for some great bits of advice and discussions etc. I shall be checking in more regularly for my next exam. Thanks all icon_smile.gif
  • Arnie335Arnie335 Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passed sscp on Tuesday, so feeling very happy at the moment. On reflection I think all 3 resources played their bit in getting me through. The study scope was a game changer, as it forced me to address the weaker aspects of my knowledge, and the sort of phraseology to expect in the exam, and in support of that, the ISC guide was a valuable resource. but I also have to give credit to Gibson for simplifying and explaining some of the cbks which I hadn't previously had a lot of exposure to. I suppose my only regret was not reaching out and using this forum more for some great bits of advice and discussions etc. I shall be checking in more regularly for my next exam. Thanks all icon_smile.gif

Good job Riki! I take my test in about a week. Only using the Darril Gibson book so far. I see you used both. Is the ISC CBK a necessity? The reason I am concerned is that I purchased the test questions from ISC and I noticed quite a few questions have topics that I don't recall being in the Darril Gibson book. This has given me anxiety and wondering if I should postpone my exam until I read the ISC book icon_sad.gif

If I need the ISC CBK, please let me know! Thanks and congrats again!
    Hi Arnie, Been working all weekend, hence this late reply (hopefully not too late). I had exactly the same issues with Gibson and the ISC studyscope exams. I tried to address these by referencing Gibson to my weak areas as highlighted by studyscope's, studyplan, which updates after each test. That didn't work, so I purchased the ISC OG, applying it purely to my weak areas, as outlined in the test feedback, and the bits Gibson had skimmmed over. I scored 98% on my last pratice test, which gave me plenty of scope to be a bag of nerves during the exam, throw about 10% of the answers, and hopefully still pass. That was my gameplan. I also took the view that if I failed, I would probably have to purchase the OG for the resit, so I thought getting it before would save a lot of hassle.

With hindsight, I do not think I would have passed without all 3 resources, as the exam question phraseology, and the bits not covered by Gibson were not an issue when I walked into the exam. I still had one or two questions, which I had to sit back, relax, and have a think about before answering, but no major issues. Good luck
    Hi Arnie, Been working all weekend, hence this late reply (hopefully not too late). I had exactly the same issues with Gibson and the ISC studyscope exams. I tried to address these by referencing Gibson to my weak areas as highlighted by studyscope's, studyplan, which updates after each test. That didn't work, so I purchased the ISC OG, applying it purely to my weak areas, as outlined in the test feedback, and the bits Gibson had skimmmed over. I scored 98% on my last pratice test, which gave me plenty of scope to be a bag of nerves during the exam, throw about 10% of the answers, and hopefully still pass. That was my gameplan. I also took the view that if I failed, I would probably have to purchase the OG for the resit, so I thought getting it before would save a lot of hassle.

With hindsight, I do not think I would have passed without all 3 resources, as the exam question phraseology, and the bits not covered by Gibson were not an issue when I walked into the exam. I still had one or two questions, which I had to sit back, relax, and have a think about before answering, but no major issues. Good luck

Thanks for the reply mate. Test is in 3 days and there is no way I can get a hold of the ISC CBK in time. I don't think postponing the exam will do me any good however. A colleague took his SSCP two weeks ago and passed alone using the Darril Gibson and CCC practice tests - but he is also a holder of the Security + cert - so he probably has knowledge of things that I just dont have. Everyone is telling me I'll do fine and if he passed it, then I am sure to pass it but I'm still nervous.

Pray for me! :)
    Quick update: I passed. Thanks for the tips RiKi!
    Congratulations Arnie, well done. :D Onto to the next?