Options

70-410 order to study

barberj66barberj66 Member Posts: 86 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All

Just looking through the 70-410 videos and exam ref book. Would you just systematically run through the book/videos in order or would you install the servers then start with Active directory.

Just having a quick skim through and surely a lot of the earlier exercises and theory would rely on a domain being present. Such as file/print permissions, delegating admin of servers etc I know you could use local accounts for these but would it not be more beneficial to be doing all these tasks with domain users/groups.

Just a thought, wondered what other peoples preferences were.

Cheers
Goals for 2019: ICND2 first of all then see how it goes.
CCENT Passed 28/11/18!
https://jballaboutit.blogspot.co.uk/

Comments

• Options
    AIRPILKAIRPILK Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The method I have used to study for other exams is by taking the objectives listed and taking a few sub-objective to look over resources on that topic. I would not go for complete understanding of this sub-topic but just try to get a basic understanding of the subject matter. After I have made it all the way through the exam objectives I would print out the list of objectives and highlight all of the topics I was not 90% comfortable with and then think to myself how long would it take me to understand this topic. One night? Five days? Some topics I might understand on the first reading others it might take a week.After I had all of the days for the objectives calculated, I would add a week and a half to two weeks for review or fluff time just in case there was a day I could not study or it took more time for me fully understand a topic. For example, if you calculate that it will take you 37 days to study the exam objectives add 12-14 days for the review, this comes to a total of 49-51 days. Then I would get a calendar and find the closest Monday to the 49-51 days and schedule your exam. This way I had a hard commitment to the exam. This way I had already spent the money and I would tell myself "If you don't study you have wasted the money on the exam."

I hope I didn't make this too confusing. If so let me know and I will try to explain it more. But each person is different so my method might not the the best way for you to study.

Airpilk
  • Options
    garretta86garretta86 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When i undertook the 70-410, this was my first certification and took advice from a friend who had done them previously. What i did was install Server 2012 (went through all the different config options in doing that) and practiced creating a domain initially setting up AD etc for things i didnt know but i installed hyper-v and created servers in there as well so i had a base configuration that i could roll back should i inevitably break something.

people work in different ways so its important to find a way your happy with.

I went through the books i had section by section once the initial config was set up made notes and followed the labs inside and went from there.
    Currently working on - 70-411

Next - 70-412

**Fail to prepare, Prepare to Fail**
  • Options
    sbhawksbhawk Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Originally, I was going to watch each video of CBT Nuggets and read the Menasi book, Mastering Server 2012 R2. But I found this Blog Post: Ben of the Cloud | windows server 2012 r2

Scroll down to Process and it explains his method. I am following this.

1) Review objectives
    2) Read each objectives and get an idea of areas you are cloudy on
    3) Watch CBT Nuggets 2012 R2 videos while taking notes and labbing
    3a) Check off each objective as you go through
    4) Refer to the exam objectives for each corresponding section in the Menasi book. This book isnt geared to the Server 2012 R2 exams. It is made simply Master Server 2012 R2 :)
    4a) Use the index or read through the corresponding chapters pertaining to your topic.
    4b) Take notes in the sections that pertain to one of the objectives.
    5) Practice exams and questions

Overall, I am taking my time using the PAUSE button in the CBT videos a lot. In the Menasi book it will be more like review and filling in the blanks. Then practice tests.
    AIRPILK wrote:
    Then I would get a calendar and find the closest Monday to the 49-51 days and schedule your exam. This way I had a hard commitment to the exam. This way I had already spent the money and I would tell myself "If you don't study you have wasted the money on the exam."

Haha. This is funny but it really helps to give yourself a deadline! I will get lazy if I give myself wiggle room! +1
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sbhawk wrote: »
    Originally, I was going to watch each video of CBT Nuggets and read the Menasi book, Mastering Server 2012 R2. But I found this Blog Post: Ben of the Cloud | windows server 2012 r2

Scroll down to Process and it explains his method. I am following this.

1) Review objectives
    2) Read each objectives and get an idea of areas you are cloudy on
    3) Watch CBT Nuggets 2012 R2 videos while taking notes and labbing
    3a) Check off each objective as you go through
    4) Refer to the exam objectives for each corresponding section in the Menasi book. This book isnt geared to the Server 2012 R2 exams. It is made simply Master Server 2012 R2 :)
    4a) Use the index or read through the corresponding chapters pertaining to your topic.
    4b) Take notes in the sections that pertain to one of the objectives.
    5) Practice exams and questions

Overall, I am taking my time using the PAUSE button in the CBT videos a lot. In the Menasi book it will be more like review and filling in the blanks. Then practice tests.

Haha. This is funny but it really helps to give yourself a deadline! I will get lazy if I give myself wiggle room! +1

Did you buy the book Mastering windows server? if so what chapters did you match them up too the objectives.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    asegunloluasegunlolu Banned Posts: 38 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi barberj66, everyone's study methods are different. For me, I'll prefer my first study to have a solid structure so I'll go for something like the Microsoft Official Course and follow the curriculum from top to bottom. That way, I can be sure that I've not missed anything. I'll then use materials like other books, CBT nuggets, e.t.c to fill in the gaps and to re-inforce the topics. We also have a regular hangout going on where we go through the MOC curriculum if you'll like to join. Next hangout will be Saturday. Details are here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/101841-anybody-interested-doing-google-hangout-study-sessions-together-410-411-412-a.html
  • Options
    KorovievKoroviev Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I study the topics of most interest to me first, then...well, I'm bad. I know I don't want to study certain things, so I assign a number to each objective domain and use a random number generator to pick for me. No being selective for certification! icon_silent.gif
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since I have this large book " Mastering SErver 2012" now I will see if I could figure out what sections to study. It's a massive book to read threw everything. That's to bad someone didn't put a list of section what to study off this book. That would help a lot of people in case they bought this book.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*