Options

3 2651XM Routers

IS3IS3 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
I got 3 2651XM routers from my job and my question is Can I hook this up to my internet connection at home? and if it is not a bother I want to start a lab for my CCNA training, so if you guys can suggest other equipment I need to complete my CCNA lab that would be awesome!

Thank you,
IS3 icon_thumright.gif
:study:

Comments

• Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, you can but I wouldnt due to the fact a 2651 is kinda slow.. But if you just want to experiment, no prob. Make sure you have the firewalls turned on on your hosts

Next, you'll need some switches. Get some 2690s.
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would check with your ISP before doing so just to play it safe. Some ISPs will allow you to do this and others won't. In regards to other pieces of equipment, I would recommend some switches (2950s) should work out fine. If you can, for the newer CCNA exam, try to find Cisco gear that runs IOS 15. Although most equipment running this IOS version is expensive, you may be able to find some cheap equipment out there (rare but not impossible depending on you budget.) I would also recommend buying the following:

2xCisco Console Cable
    2x 2950s or 3750s
    1x DTE/DCE cable for clock setting commands
    Straight through and cross over cables(for routing and spanning tree) etc.
    A lab manual for labs (free or paid)
    Video training (Chris Bryant or Paul Browning)

Other then that, you should be all set and good to go!! Best of luck. I'm trying to knock my CCENT out before the end of the summer but who knows :)
  • Options
    I would recommend some switches (2950s) should work out fine. If you can, for the newer CCNA exam, try to find Cisco gear that runs IOS 15. Although most equipment running this IOS version is expensive :)

2950s are OK *IF* you are just doing CCENT first. They will cover vlan, ROAS, etc. But when you enter the ICND2 zone, you have to have 2960s for etherchannel.

And I totally agree with building cables and stuff like that. I cannot for the life of me understand why some people around here feel they don't need to know how to plug things in.. That is amazing
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    2950s are OK *IF* you are just doing CCENT first. They will cover vlan, ROAS, etc. But when you enter the ICND2 zone, you have to have 2960s for etherchannel.

And I totally agree with building cables and stuff like that. I cannot for the life of me understand why some people around here feel they don't need to know how to plug things in.. That is amazing

2950s can do etherchannel just fine as well.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    I'd keep your lab separate from your net connection especially if you are sharing it(net) with anyone else
    avoids hassles and standard home routers etc use a lot less power than older cisco routers and switches.

2950's are fine for ccna
    2651's are fine for ccna (they cover 95% of whats needed)
    2960's are also okay for ccna but don't cover everything for ccnp
    same for 3550's

But what you can do is use one of the free or paid online labs to cover the few bits your equipment doesn't cover.

If you have 3 routers, you just need 2-4 switches.
    For an extra router or 10 you can use gsn3 (or get one more router)

How much ram and flash do the routers have and what wic's or nm's ?
    ram and flash can limit which ios versions you can install

you might want to get a usb to serial cable if you don't have a serial port on your pc or so you can have more than one plugged in at the same time.Or one of the console cables for an ipad
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    JeanM wrote: »
    2950s can do etherchannel just fine as well.

DARN.. You are correct... I'm trying to remember why a 2960 is better than a 2950.. I thought it was Port channels. icon_redface.gif

Thanks
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    2960's are newer, support a later ios version, have more qos , use sfp instead of gbic , higher performance/through put(switching packets) , jumbo frame support (L2) , igmp snooping

bad thing on 2960's is there are two image types lan lite and lan base. Lan base image requires a license

2950's run a common image

3750's are coming down in price as well.

Bidding on a couple at the moment (and the 2821's this guy is selling) - note these are in Australia icon_wink.gif
    waiy-au2014 | eBay
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    alxx wrote: »
    2960's are newer, support a later ios version, have more qos , use sfp instead of gbic , higher performance/through put(switching packets) , jumbo frame support (L2) , igmp snooping

bad thing on 2960's is there are two image types lan lite and lan base. Lan base image requires a license

2950's run a common image

3750's are coming down in price as well.

Bidding on a couple at the moment (and the 2821's this guy is selling) - note these are in Australia icon_wink.gif
    waiy-au2014 | eBay

What's your recommendation on a router that does ipv6? Cheap please!!icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    What's your recommendation on a router that does ipv6? Cheap please!!icon_cheers.gif

The cisco 1841 will do IPv6 and several of them have sold on ebay lately for about $50, I picked another one up the other day, for $53 with free shipping.

How to configure Cisco Router with IPv6

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/75459-does-cisco-1841-router-support-dual-stacking.html
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.