Options

GNS3 with Linux ubuntu for CCENT Studies?

beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just want to say first of all congrats to all of you who have used GNS3 for Cisco studies and good luck to future network engineers who will be using it. I'm back on the CCENT study path again and have been hearing a lot og good things about GNS3. I actually signed up for the new version thats web based. I got an email saying that I could have access to it I believe but its been a while. Anyway I just downloaded it agian from this site for Linux Ubuntu. I was wondering how I could set this up to get me through CCNA and maybe CCNA Voice later. For now I was wondering if I could maybe get a couple of switches with the 15.0 IOS and use that inside of GNS3 for routing stuff and just use the switches for my switching labs. Of course if there is a way to do all of the switching in GNS3 that would be cool too. Anyway just wanted to get some feedback on the best way to handle this. Personally I think GNS3 would be perfect for CCENT right now, especially using a real IOS. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    For CCENT level switching you could use L2 IOU images which are supported by the 1.0 beta. "Real" switch IOS images are not beeing supported by any emulators since the hardware is too hard zu emulate.

Using real equipment with GNS3 is also a nice option which might get you some experience with these boxes (which is recommended if you want to proceed in this area), but you can get the CCENT easy without buying physical gear.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks so much, I appreciate your help. I will probably get some real equipment at some point. Just real tight financially. I will probably go with GNS3 and Packet Tracer.