Options

2611XM problems...

smarkyosmarkyo Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've got a couple 2611xm's each with their own problems...

2611XM #1
tried connecting my PC to interfaces f0/0 & f0/1. both keep coming up as status UP/DOWN.
I've configured IP & Subnet Mask on both interfaces. Not sure if it's my cable??
I've tested the same cable between my PC & a 2621 router, and ping works fine.

All I have are straight through cables, does the 2611XM require a cross over when connecting to a PC?

2611XM #2
it keeps reloading the IOS in an endless loop and never gets to a router> prompt.
i went into rom mon mode to check a couple things...
config register is set to x2102
it's IOS 12.4 with a file size of ~33mb, so those two sound ok?

not sure what else to look for?

Comments

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    #1 post running config, is your pc nic configured with ip in the same subnet as the interface on the router? "like" devices need crossover cable.

#2 post copy/paste of the boot-up process.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    smarkyo wrote: »

2611XM #1
    tried connecting my PC to interfaces f0/0 & f0/1. both keep coming up as status UP/DOWN.
    I've configured IP & Subnet Mask on both interfaces. Not sure if it's my cable??

All I have are straight through cables, does the 2611XM require a cross over when connecting to a PC?

2611XM #2
    it keeps reloading the IOS in an endless loop and never gets to a router> prompt.

#1 concur with making sure their on the same subnet range, also does the interface have a no shutdown? - to test if it's the cable do you have a RJ45 tester?

2# have you tried looking for another rom config on the internet? I know some torrent sites like iptorrents[dot]ru have a full package with all of the Cisco rom config's in a massive 32 GB rar file; perhaps see if you can backup your config and then flash it with another one...
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    smarkyo wrote: »

2611XM #1

2611XM #2

A)Need a crossover for PC to router... that's why people need cable experience and not just Packet tracer experience..Doing a show interface fa0/0 would have pointed out your issue

B)config reg is correct... I cant remember if you can do a show flash in rom mon mode, but see if you even have an IOS in flash
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    smarkyosmarkyo Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the suggestions! turns out the solutions were really simple...

-- the router that had constant IOS re-loading had a serial card in one of the slots,
    I unplugged/plugged back in the card and now the router boots fine

-- managed to get a cross-over cable today and connecting PC --> 2611XM works great now.

hmmmm, when I connect from PC --> 2821 router with a straight-through, I'm able to get a connection,
    guessing because 2800 series has the "auto-detect" (sorry, forgot the actual name)
    for straight-through/cross-over cables & 2600 series don't?