WGU & Linux+

xinyxiny Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm having a heck of a time learning Linux from the TestOut lab/vids that WGU provides.
So far i'm relying on books. I'm not sure what it is but i can't get the information Robb Tracy is teaching to stick.
Does anyone else have issues with learning from TestOut? I might end up giving Linux Academy a try.
"Hacking is like sex. You get in, you get out, and hope that you didn't leave something that can be traced back to you."

Comments

• W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you running a linux distro to test out the commands that you're learning? I don't think a book or video can teach you how to administer a linux server any better than a book can teach you martial arts without practice.
  • xinyxiny Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My current os is Ubuntu =)
    I do follow along, enter commands, etc.
    My issue is that the material is not sticking. =(
    "Hacking is like sex. You get in, you get out, and hope that you didn't leave something that can be traced back to you."
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I come across a new command I would write it down with a brief description of what it does. Include about ~5 flags and what they do. Have a quick read of the man/info pages and then operate the command a couple of times. This is how I did it.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • xinyxiny Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did end up getting a Linux Academy subscription and i am doing alot better now.
    I don't know if it's how they teach the material or if i'm more motivated for paying out of pocket =P but i'm getting the material down now! icon_cheers.gif