Options

What software deployment solution are you using?

D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
What software deployment solution are you using? I need something that can deploy software to 1000+ machines in a Win 7 64bit environment? Also, Would be good if it could do inventory.

Looking for something that is free or not too expensive...

Currently moving away from LANDesk. Running MDT 2013 to deploy Windows, so need something to deploy software.

D

Comments

• Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cheap/free - spiceworks along with http://www.adminarsenal.com/pdq-deploy would probably sort it.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Step 1: uninstall windows.

Step 2: install centos

Step 3: spacewalk

Kidding. But, seriously, you do not want to think "cheap" when doing what you're talking about. You want to think "requirements" and getting the job done reliably, then narrow that down to what software can do that, and what's the best value for your purchasing dollar.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've never used it but apparently SCCM does a great job of deploying and having an inventory.
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd very much like to preach the gospel of Puppet and see Puppet on Windows get more popular.

However, at this time, I'd have to agree that SCCM will be a better option.
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SCCM is what we use. Seems to work efficiently.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Nearly all of solutions seem to require domain admin status, which is a deal breaker for me. I have authority over my agency's OU, but not an official domain admin.

Apparently SCCM does all this and regrows lost hair. Wish I could use it!
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Thanks Kinet1c I was already testing pdq-deploy so will also try using with Spiceworks!
  • Options
    Thank you all for your replies! I'll also look into SCCM, as suggested! Is the licensing expensive? I know nothing about SCCM, but then again I knew nothing about MDT when I started using it, Lol.
  • Options
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    Step 1: uninstall windows.

Step 2: install centos

Step 3: spacewalk

Kidding. But, seriously, you do not want to think "cheap" when doing what you're talking about. You want to think "requirements" and getting the job done reliably, then narrow that down to what software can do that, and what's the best value for your purchasing dollar.

Very true and very good advice! Unfortunately, I work for a company that want all the bells and whistles on a beer budget, lol...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    SCCM is a good solution for large enterprise environments (I'd say 1500+ employees), but will generally be overkill for smaller shops.

Have you looked at Novell's ZENWorks? Much cheaper, and actually easier to use than SCCM.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Probably not the cheapest option but we use SCCM 2012 and it works wonders. There's so many great things you can do with it, highly recommend it!
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    SCE is suppose to be a cheaper option geared toward small businesses. (System Center Essentials.) Not sure if it is also completely gimped or not though.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    N2IT wrote: »
    SCCM is $
    This.
    I was reading up on the licensing recently in my unleashed book and it had said that every computer that gets a client installed = $50. I work for the Army so I don't really see the money side of it but I really can't imagine Microsoft expecting anyone to actually pay for a model like this.
    The product does work very well for a multitude of things. If you are not a domain admin then it is possible that you guys are already using the software and you don't know it. I would ask around to the system admins above you and see what they are using because more than likely something is already in place.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2