Options

Taking on the CEH

wearingmyrolexwearingmyrolex Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Morning All,

starting the CEH at the end of the month when the AIO guide and Practice tests turn up.
Had to buy the 1st Edition as I can't wait for the 2nd Edition and I can't order it from the US as it's being delivered to the UK and then my Mother in Law is bringing it to Spain, via Easyjet no less ;)

Whilst writing this it's occurred to me, I'm not even sure if I can take the CEH in Spain & in English - must check that.

I read a lot of your posts and saw people with the correct background were successful using just the AOI guide. If anyone has any other resources they can recommend then that would be much appreciated.

I'm also planning on CISA this December and then thinking of getting into the Architecture exams such as CISSP-ISSAP / SABSA / TOGAF etc - not sure of there are any potential study partners out there?

Happy studying people

Comments

• Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    Try this Pearson Vue link.
    Looks like there are quite a few in Spain.

Just ordered the AIO second edition a week ago:D
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
  • Options
    Thanks Trashman.

Going to take the exam in Gibraltar. I'm hoping the 1st edition is sufficient...
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    I just passed CEHv8 using the Matt Walker CEHv7 study guide (1st edition) as one of my study resources. With your certification background the 1st edition should be fine. You will be astonished how simple the exam is compared to the material that you neeed to study for it.
  • Options
    Hello JDMurray/Trashman,
    thanks for the replies. It's taking me a long time to reply and now I'm quite late in my schedule to study for and complete the CEH as ISACA December seat is fast approaching and I'm hoping to take the CISA..

So, perhaps a silly question: Do you think I could pass the CEH reading Matt Walker only, and not installing the Linux O/S plus toolset? I know how to read netstats/wireshark/**** etc. The Matt Walker has a fair amount of code extract, I wonder if he's already covered most (if not all) code that may come on the exam and just being familiar with his material will be sufficient?

It's not that I want to short cut the exam. From a practical perspective, if he covers a tool and I find I'll be needing that tool soon, I'll take the time to install product and practice etc, but for now, with only 3 weeks (I'm on Chap 2) or so, 2 kids, a new house, tough job (violin time), I'd like your input as to whether or not it's possible OR if I'm on the road to a hiding.

Thanks
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    So, perhaps a silly question: Do you think I could pass the CEH reading Matt Walker only, and not installing the Linux O/S plus toolset?Thanks
    It's possible, but it really depends on how much you already know about the material and how well you understand what you do study. A score of only 70% is required to pass the CEH exam, so you can probably get all of the Linux/UNIX-based questions wrong and still pass if you've got all the other topics nailed. However, knowing Linux/UNIX is very important for most hacking situations, so it's information necessary to eventually know.
  • Options
    Thanks JDMurray.
    I'm cracking on with Chap 3 today (1st read), and only doing the q's at the end of the chapter. Then doing a re-read whilst making notes and taking on the q's on the CD (hoping there are a lot more and tougher questions). I've got a cramm sheet with all the switches and what they do. That should do the job.

Thanks for your input!